Can I get some advise me on this TR buy? please?

70Nova355

He is a member of this forum, and some other buick ones, so Bill, you can tell me to buy it if you want, too :)

It's an '87 WE4, 180k miles, few dents on the car, paint a little rough.

Stock turbo,intercooler,dp,and Converter,42.5lb injectors,Extender chip,Trans+,3" mass air sensor,SMC single nozzle Alky kit,DuttwilerNeckand Power Plate.

Now here's my situation:
I'm a student, but have no real money issues. I'm not rich or really well off, but I don't have any debt, and I always have a little in my pocket.

Getting an exhaust done for the car would be very cheap for me. I can get it at cost for mandrel bent goods. My roomate works at a performance shop.

Also, i can paint the car myself. I know how, and I've painted cars before, with good outcomes. So that would be cheap.

The price on the car (for me) is $4500.

The mileage worries me a little, seeing that the motor/tranny/rear are still original, and that's kind of getting up there...

Are TRs still pretty strong runners when taken care of, at that mileage? I do know that the car has been taken care of.

Also, any guesses as to what it would run, given a good track, decent conditions, average driver, in good running shape?

Other than doing the regular maintenance things when bought, anything I should expect to do? I know there's the period of fixing little things, and tuning when you first buy a car....

Thanks for all the advise. I just want some positive support before I jump into it. That said, I've wanted a turbo buick for over 4 years now, and haven't been able to find one. I don't want to let this one go. AND, I drive a '90 Eclipse GSX with 178k miles, so I know if you take care of something, it lasts.... and I baby the hell out of cars when not at the track;)

Thanks again!
David

Hi Dave

Let me just throw this at ya, make yourself look at 3 TR's before you make a decision. If this is the first one you've looked at, just take a field trip and look at 2 more, then make your decision. Just my 2 cents. The price seems about right, (my opinion.) - BB

I think its slightly overpriced. I'd get it down to $4K or lower if it hasn't been rebuilt. (Do a compression check to make sure it's holding). These motors are beasts, but they will eventually need a rebuild. Make sure timing chain has been done once at least. Do a thorough checkup using the gnttype instructions if you can find them :D Especially the tranny, it should have been rebuilt by now.

My period of fixing things took almost a year. Expect this if the car hasn't been meticulously maintained. This car is fun, but it will be like a possessive girlfriend, constant attention and money.

It should be in the high 12s/low 13s provided it has the requisite fuel mods and some way to adjust boost, especially with alky.

Personally, I'd say it was a good deal. I bought my first GN with 154,000 miles on it in June 02 for $9400 (I got screwed because I didn't know what I was looking at). The car was good, and I drove the hell out of it.

When I wrecked it on 4/11/04 it had 184,000 miles and according the the butt dyno it still ran 12's. For what it's worth, the insurance company paid me $4770 for it.

Hope this helped.

on the flip side i would personally pass due to the mileage. if you keep your eyes out you will find a lower mileage car (closer to 100) that is in equal condition and will be a GN not a WE4. History shows the WE4 isnt as valuable in peoples eyes as a GN and if you go over 200k (which isnt that far) you will never see 4500 again if you try to sell it unless you put a lot of $ in it

but thats just my opinion. To get a feel look at some others in your area.

I personally fell into the "buy the first one you look at" but think I came out ok.

For me, milleage is not too important as long as the body is rust free. Interiors are simple to restore and body work is pretty easy as long as you don't have to replace pieces and fix rust.

The engine can be freshened up too (although that could get pricey) but run away if there is rust.

I bought the first one I actually went to test drive, but I did TONS of research first.

I picked up a 86 T-type (I like T's better all black is boring) with 70,000 miles, in primer for $4000...Look around you can find some KILLER deals.

$4K sounds okay and fair.

Do all the options work? Is it loaded or stripped?

You gonna drive it or modify and race it?

Timing chain done?

I'd budget for a tranny rebuild, and figure about $1200 for a decent one ie. street strip version.

Rear end is change the fluid inspect and drive it. :)

Engine if factory built wouldn't bother me much if it has the proper oil pressures and all.

I'd be more worried about a rebuilt performance motor as they rarely mimic Buicks efforts. :(

$4000 tops, with that kind of miledge, the seat, door panels and carpet are probably below par.

Joe

Originally posted by Slow91z
I picked up a 86 T-type (I like T's better all black is boring)

SACRILEGE!!!:eek: j/k... i think it sounds pretty decent, but i'd be wary (like these other guys have been sayin') if there hasn't been any rebuild work done. best of luck! :)

sorry about ressurecting this thread. I've just been busy and haven't read until now....

Basically, I wanted the car for a Daily driver, with a little bit of strip duty. I'd probably do a turbo back exhaust, and leave the mods at that until I had a new motor built/balanced for it...

The problem with finding turbo buicks in the NW is that they are truley few and far between. This is the first one under $6500 in 2 years. Last one was a 155k mile GN that sold for $6000 to a friend of mine. They are simply hard to find out here...

I think I'll probably end up passing on this car. I'll probably buy a *gasp* 5.0L Mustang or 3rd gen F-body to get me through college, then when I get a steady job, I'll find myself a nice 60k mile GN for ~ $15 or so.....

Won't be fair to my wallet to buy a high mileage car, and have to put a lot moe money into it. I just need something that I can lightly mod, have a little fun with, and daily drive. My current car ('90 Eclipse GSX) sucks for that. It breaks every other day under normal driving......

And for the record, if I end up with a Mustang, I will get a license plate frame that says "WISH IT WAS A TURBO BUICK"

:)

until I get one, I'll just continue to troll around over here :)

If you want a reliable ford mustang, look into an SVO.

fox body, turbo-ford. They're decent rides. Mine has 175,000 on the clock and still runs good.

Here's the kicker for around the 4.5K your looking to pay for that Turbo Buick with 180K+ miles, you could come away with a nice 60-80K mile SVO.

An SVO is also faster then a 5.0, and they may actually someday be worth something (they are rarer than turbo buicks only ~10,000 made).

But if you do decide to go this route I suggest avoiding sun-roof cars (potential rust problem) and also check the roof where the hatch meets it for rust.

Also the Turbo Coupe Thunderbird has the same engine :).
They also get decent gas mileage if you can manage not to keep the gas on the floor the whole time your driving (around 20mpg)

Also if your interested here are sites that you can check out:
www.turboford.org - Like this site :)
www.svoca.com - National Club
www.mustangsvo.org - Small message board and ad board

Hope this was helpful,
Just my .02,
Sean