Can you fill a nitrous bottle up with propane?

twidge

I'm helping a friend of mine setup a propane and nitrous system on his C5 vette, and I was just wondering if theres any way to fill up a nitrous bottle with propane? We have 2 polished 10 lb nitrous bottles and he was going to run them in one of those dual bottle holders behind the seats and then hide the propane bottle somewhere but I thought it would be a lot cleaner setup if one bottle was filled with nitrous the other with propane, so you didn't have that ugly BBQ bottle sitting around.

It would be possible but you would need a pump to fill it everytime and a bunch of different fittings not to mention the legality of driving around with propane in a nonDOT approved tank.

You won't be able to find anybody that will fill it for you so that will have to be done yourself.

Also, Nitrous takes the liquid and not the vapor so the bottle wouldn't work the same anyways.

The best thing it do is just hide the tank, it will be safer and work better.

bottle

You would have to cut or otherwise remove the siphon tube. It is a neat idea. The NOS bottle is capable of greater psi than propane needs,right? DOT would frown on it probably!:D

Also, Nitrous takes the liquid and not the vapor so the bottle wouldn't work the same anyways.

Propane runs vapor because most uses for it are low pressure. I think "high" pressure regulators are like 7 psi and low pressure ones are like 5(basically one is actually for natural gas and the other is for propane). I'm probably wrong on those numbers but it is real low psi in that range. Now I have seen high pressure propane regulators that are actually high pressure(100+ psi). I would guess that they are made for regulating liquid propane. I think they would have to be because a full propane tank is only around 120 psi or so. I know this because I had the exact same idea and did some incomplete research on it.

Here is the two main reasons I can of backed off of my research.
1. how the would you find some one to fill the bottle. You cant even get a propane tank filled around here unless it has the new style valve with built in pressure release incase of over fill.
2. where would a guy get any idea at all about what size propane nozzles to use to match a given nos nozzle?

If you research into it and come up with some good or bad info please email me. I would love to do a nos/propane spray set up.

Jason
postal@mchsi.com

Hey would you want to sell one of those Polished Bottles?
If so email me at blafler87@yahoo.com
Thanks

Originally posted by twidge
I'm helping a friend of mine setup a propane and nitrous system on his C5 vette, and I was just wondering if theres any way to fill up a nitrous bottle with propane? We have 2 polished 10 lb nitrous bottles and he was going to run them in one of those dual bottle holders behind the seats and then hide the propane bottle somewhere but I thought it would be a lot cleaner setup if one bottle was filled with nitrous the other with propane, so you didn't have that ugly BBQ bottle sitting around.

I dont think you could find anyone to fill a different container with propane unless it was a close, personal buddy.

Far as the jetting thing, thats about to become a thing of the past :D

Originally posted by JayC
I dont think you could find anyone to fill a different container with propane unless it was a close, personal buddy.

Far as the jetting thing, thats about to become a thing of the past :D

????