Can't align my doors for the life of me

G NASTY

My doors have a huge gap at the top, prob over 1/2 inch, and the bottom of the door is almost touching. What could the issue be? Is there some type of adjustment to change angle of the door? TIA

Are you talking about door to fender, or door to qtr panel? If it lines up to the qtr, then your fender is sitting too low in front-maybe radiator support bushings are missing, crushed or not installed properly.

Carl

Hinges are prob worn but I tried two sets. The gap is door to quarter panel. The gap was bad but after putting in new poly body bushings I had to re adjust the doors just to open them. Could the hinges be causing the much of a prob?

Your body was sagging before in the middle with the new bushings it raised the center of the body back up. best way to adjust doors is with the fender off adjust the door to the 1/4 panel then hang the fender to contour to the door. Currently is the rear corner of the door low or high?

Rear bottom corner is tight to the quarter, and the top of the door is almost 1/2" if not more gap.

Yeah it seams the body was sagging all over. The rear bushings were almost in the trunk. Now Im nerveous I won't be able to align it correct. And to make matters worse its a ttop car.

I restored a converable once after putting new body mounts we had to shim the rear mounts to even out the gap at the bottom of quarter panel because there wasn't enough adjustment in the hinges.

No not yet. That's next on the list. Just don't know if it's going to make that much of a difference.

When I replaced all my body mounts with poly ones I had trouble with my doors. The door catch was dragging on the latch. I put new pins and bushings in both doors and the problem went away.
Have you got the front clip off the car? If you do then install doors and get your gaps lined up to the 1/4 panel and then install the front clip lining up the fenders to the doors. You may need to shim the doors to get them to sit square in the door opening. I found it easier to use a piece of cardboard under the door, cardboard between the rockerpanel edge and the lower door edge, to get the lower gap almost perfect and then just work to get the bodylines perfect. It is a PITA to do by yourself but once you get one side done then the other side seems to get easier. HTH

Chris

No not yet. That's next on the list. Just don't know if it's going to make that much of a difference.

I would do that before I fret too much about the alignment. It can make a big difference.

Search here, or Google it for GM hinge pin/bushing replacement - but here's an article from GNTType:
Door Sag Procedure

The thing that has me confused is the doors sag but my issue is a reverse sag. The top gap is too large and the bottom is touching.

How is that a "reverse sag"? The weight of the doors has worn the bushings and possible the pins, and gravity pulled the door down.

Because the door looks pulled up. If it was sagging the top would be touching the quarter instead it's far away from the quarter and bottom is touching. And it doesn't change with the striker removed.

Look at the center body bushing (the one at the center of the door). Make sure the body is resting on it. There is a problem with some of the poly kits where the washer needs reamed so the body goes down all of the way.

Thanks I'll look into that also, I hope my body guy put all the bushings in the right spots. I didn't realize they are different sizes.

The washer is the problem. The bushings are the same. What kit did you use. The Energy Suspension kit has the proper washer, the Prothane kit does not. The body's threaded insert hangs down from the floor 3/8" or so, and fits into the top washer and down into the bushing. This location uses a shorter bolt.

I had a similar problem when I replaced my door and it turned out that the door itself was twisted and out of shape. Probably not your issue but I thought I would throw it into the discussion.
Jeff