Can't open my doors....

By-Tor

X-mas eve, it rained. Today it got down to freezing and froze up my doors to my 95 GP coupe.

Might of yanked too hard on the lever, because now I can't open the door.
Other door might be the same too or froze shut, I don't know, will try in the sun.

If both doors don't open, how do I get them to open? Also when I was able to open the doors, the door hook that closes the door wouldn't hook up.....

Key is 'warm' water. Hot water will destroy stuff.. like glass... seen people try that, and the result isn't pretty.
I'd use a hairdryer first. You don't need much heat. Then spray stuff down with WD-40 (yes, the water displacement) to get rid of the water in there. Wipe down your door seals with black magic or something like that.

I'm a bit worried about my cars right now. We are getting rain dumped on us, and its right about freezing, and dropping. They are calling for ice through 10am tomorrow, right when I have to work. :( But I recently dressed the seals, so it should be ok as long as I can open the door. If not, the little travel size hair dryer works great. Crossing my fingers that tomorrow morning I don't have to resort to it though.

X-mas eve, it rained. Today it got down to freezing and froze up my doors to my 95 GP coupe.

Might of yanked too hard on the lever, because now I can't open the door.
Other door might be the same too or froze shut, I don't know, will try in the sun.

If both doors don't open, how do I get them to open? Also when I was able to open the doors, the door hook that closes the door wouldn't hook up.....

You guys aren't up to 17 inches of snow yet??? We are getting another 6 by the end of tomorrow.

You guys aren't up to 17 inches of snow yet??? We are getting another 6 by the end of tomorrow.

It's was raining on Wednesday and Thursday, it turned to snow on Friday.
I have family up in Sioux Falls and they just got hit with a buttload of snow.

I don't know what's up with me and car doors and winters?!

Isnt there enough room to fit thru the trunk on that car?

Just a thought.

My dodge and ford trucks both do it.

One time, i had to drive 20 miles to work with my door 1/2 open on my 87 turbo buick cause the door latch broke and would not close.

It was scary, but i was able to fix it at work.

BW :)

I can fit inside the trunk no problem, there is no trap door or folddown seat.
The driver's side latch is fried, but I'm not sure about the passenger side.
I feel alot more resistance than the driver's side, but it won't open either. There might be a nice spot of ice in between the door and frame in the body keeping it from going.

Two ways I've heard of opening these broken doors is to either use a coathanger and fish it down to the inside latch or the hard way....

The hard way is to pop the hood from the outside and then remove a fender, so you can get to the PW wires. Just give the wire that controls the down and bingo, open window!

Other that that, I don't know.

Just read the local news and they said Sioux City got hammered with 20 inches, while we only got like less than six.

I hope my Grandma will be alright, all that snow on her driveway must be really bothering her. She always keeps it clear and will go out and sweep it clean when it gets accumulating.

Take a really thick silicon like you would on tires for tire dressing, coat ALL of the weatherstripping with it and this will allow the ice not to stick to the doors. You could also use a silicon spray used for tools but not WD40 or anything like that.

Update!

Passenger door does open!
Driver's door won't even open from the inside. I've must of really hurt it bad.:(

I remember the night, I had to pull from the door edge to get a better grip. Then the door wouldn't shut at all. The hook that grabs on to the post wasn't hooking, I guess I was able to get to hook.....permanently.

Now I wish I didn't have a center console.......

What to do now? :mad:

For (God forbid) next time, get some of the rainx de-icing washer fluid. Keep it either in the trunk or the house. If it happens next time you can use the fluid to get into the cracks and melt the ice. Add it to you washer bottle as well which will keep the lines from freezing. I had to do this fairly often when I was living in TN. Worked pretty good.

had same problem but from a ford

92 stang and had to replace the handles because they broke, not only that but there was plastic o rings that the wires that worked the inside of the door were brittle and broke as i was replacing them. sucked big time, i know they are from 2 different manufactors but you may have broke a plastic part that controls something internal or something to that effect. just trying to help out bro and hope you get it fixed.

Well.......either the handle wasn't broken or it fix it's self. Works now..........something must of gotten bound up during the freeze and then loosened it's self later on. I was able to get into the passenger side and then I tried to bash the door open from the inside(thinking it was frozen...) didn't budge. Then I was like "what the heck" and tried it again, opened....

Thanks everyone for your two cents, crisis averted!