Can't save changes when offline in FAST?

Spooled

I just got my FAST system not too long ago. i just installed it in my car but haven't gotten to the point of starting the car yet. I took the software and put it on my pc at school. I loaded the demo file as well as another file i got from a buddy. I started to change them to what i felt my car would need. When i went to save the changes, it said i couldn't b/c i was in demo mode. What exactly does that mean? Can you not save chagnes unless your online (hooked up to the ecu with the power on)? I used to edit my DFI files here at school and then put them on disk and take them back home to upload into my unvrsl folder. I wanna do this with the speedpro. How can i do it? It's just not letting me save changes. I'm on a dos version that harry from PTE sent me. Please help! Thanks fellas

If you downloaded the demo software, you won't be able to save changes- you'll get the message that you describe. Since it's only demo software, it won't let you do stuff like that.

Instead, use the software that was supplied by your vendor when you got the ECU- the "real" version will let you save changes.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Have you connected the laptop to your ECU yet? I am pretty sure that the software will only work in demo mode until it has been connected to a powered ECU.

Yep, the computer you use must be online with the FAST box before you can save files. I wish that would change, i like to edit at the desktop computer in my study instead of on my laptop.

Yah, that sucks. It's nice to be able to change stuff without being hooked up to the ecu. You could do that with DFI. IMO that's something that should be changed. Thanks guys!

Spooled-

No, you don't have to be online to save changes. I do it all the time- I come home after a night at the races, review all of my saved runs & overlay them on the VE tables, etc., and then save the new files. Then the next day I go back to the car and upload my new VE table or whatever.

Being "offline" is different than being in "demo mode"- if you're just offline, you *can* save files.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

So what exactly does the DEMO mode mean? Does that mean i have the demo software? I have the software installed that harry sent me with my Speedpro setup. Or do i have to somehow "activate" it by hooking it up once. I wouldn't think you'd have to be hooked up save changes...that would just be a poor design. Thanks for all the help. I'm going home this weekend and will hook it up to the ecu for the first time and see what happens.

Bob, his computer/FAST program has never been "online" with the FAST box, therefore he can't save his files.

You don't have a demo program, but the results are the same. Until it goes online you can't save your files.

Once you hook the ecu to your laptop you should be able to work offline like you want to. I had the same experience when I first got my system. Good luck with your tuning.

The C-Com software (DOS and Windows version) will operate in Demonstration mode until the first time it communicates with an ECU. Connection with an ECU verifies that a legitimate owner is using the program. Once communication has been established, Subsequent use will not be restricted. If you want to use your desktop computer and the ECU is not readily accesible to it, you can copy the ecu.cfg file from a previously verified version of C-Com (your laptop for instance) to the desktop installed C-Com. The ecu.cfg file contains recorded information from the owner's ECU.