capacitor recommendation

mark b

Looking for a cap for my stereo but very confused by all the choices.
Rockford Fosgate 1 farad for $80 has a solid brand name, but am I just paying for the name? I also see a lot of Power Acoustik stuff on eBay and I also saw a 1.5 farad Lanzar for less than the R/F. Are they basically all the same?

Anyone recommend one or have good/bad experience with particular brands?

Just to let you know rockford don't make their caps and even power acoustik also.

Any of those 1 -1.5 farad are the same.

How much amps and the total amount to power (amps) and you drawing?

I figured someone else made them, that's the way it is with most products these days. I have a Rockford Fosgate 800.4 amp that I am installing. I bought the amp quite a while ago, just never had a chance to install it. This is going into a 96 Lumina with a 105 amp alternator, so I am a little concerned I will run it dry. My GN had a 140 amp alternator and I never had a problem.

I'm not running a sub right now but may add one later, which is another reason I'm thinking of adding the cap now. I don't mind spending $70-100 for a little insurance.

A farad should be enough for the 800.4 unless you are going to drive subs with it.

Just a quick update for the record :)

I got a Power Acoustik cap and wired it in this weekend with my eBay purchased amp. Power up it - sounds like crap. One rear speaker completely distorted, the other barely working. I was concerned it was something I did with the cap, but since I had not run the system with just the amp I removed the cap and ran just the amp. Same story, amp is toast. Too bad I bought it quite a while ago otherwise I'd be all over the seller.

So....lesson be learned, my recommendation would be "buy new unless you know the equipment personally" !

BTW - I found the cap a bit perplexing. It doesn't have a separate on/off circuit like an amp does, so it appears to be on all the time. Of course when it's not being used it seems to go into hibernation according to the digital volt display.

Send the amp to freemans they will repair it. Thats where I send all my Old School Fosgates when I fry them.

I have not heard of Freemans but I haven't heard of a lot of things :)

Do you have any info on them? Thanks!

Freemans Car Stereo - 704-399-5642 x 111.

A post from the Rockford Board -

I hope everyone knows that you can get many vintatge amps repaired and get most vintage parts from Freeman's Car Stereo
(704)-398-2206
rockfordparts@freemansstereovideo.com

I dont know why there are 2 different phone numbers. Nice people, give them a ring, HTH.