car flooded in salt water - any hope?

8289ta

A friend of mine had his 1987 GN flooded during Hurricane Sandy. It was flooded over the engine - about 3-4 ft. It was in need of some work and uninsured but ran fine previously. Is there any hope for this thing?

of course...buddy of mine his got flooded during katrina and now its a 9sec car and wins car shows left and right..just depends how much work he puts into it to save it and do it right. tell him to invest in some POR-15

Was he able to reuse wiring? We are going to flood the mechanicals with diesel to get out salt water. He also has a 1969 Roadrunner that was flooded but that is a lot less of a headache. I am wondering if things like sensors, injectors and interior wiring are totally screwed. We are not even concerned about interior electrical like door motors and locks yet. Saving the car at this point is the priority.

man i am sorry to hear that! hate to see bad things come to these cars. keep us posted on how the car is doing. best of luck to you and your friend!

the underhood stuff is pretty well sealed. I'd be more worried about the wiring and stuff under the dash.

certainly get it dried out as much as possible and as soon as possible.

drain and replace all fluids, pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over with a breakerbar to empty the cylinders, spray a lot of WD40 into the cylinders and crank it over again.

then start it and warm it up to dry it out the rest of the way.

(just my opinion)

Bob

What do you think it would take to get started? Has to be plenty screwed under the dash. It is going to be a long slow process so we want to protect the mechanicals and get out salt water to stop the damage from continuing. I will keep you guys updated on progress. Any suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

They make electrical contact cleaner, kind of like dry cleaning solvent. You could unhook any connections underdash, under the hood, etc and spray them, or at least hit them with some low pressure air to dry them. Remove the seats and carpet, clean them and reinstall them after making sure the metal is all dried out underneath (and/or coated in POR 15 as suggested). Car is DEFINITELY salvageable, just takes some time. I had someone break a window in a car during the rain, flooded the interior. I put a dehumidifier IN the car and ran it while I was nearby. Then removed the seats and carpet and used a steam cleaner while they were out of the car to get everything.

I live on the mississippi gulf coast where my dad owned a marina since the 70's. We dealt with alot of hurricanes. From experience of equipment, tools, cars, etc. going under, you will never get to it all. Salt water that got in any crease or opening on it WILL rust. If you do try to save it, you might as well replace every harness on it. Its not worth the time and future problems trying to clean up a interior and engine harness that has been submerged in salt water. I guess it really depends on what your wanting to do with the car. A driver would be worth saving. However, trying to make a nice presentable show car would be a stretch. It could be done, but it will be time consuming and expensive. There are to many nice cars out there for good prices to start building a salt water flood car.

I live on the mississippi gulf coast where my dad owned a marina since the 70's. We dealt with alot of hurricanes. From experience of equipment, tools, cars, etc. going under, you will never get to it all. Salt water that got in any crease or opening on it WILL rust. If you do try to save it, you might as well replace every harness on it. Its not worth the time and future problems trying to clean up a interior and engine harness that has been submerged in salt water. I guess it really depends on what your wanting to do with the car. A driver would be worth saving. However, trying to make a nice presentable show car would be a stretch. It could be done, but it will be time consuming and expensive. There are to many nice cars out there for good prices to start building a salt water flood car.

Yup! Depends on how much it's worth to him. Won't be easy, but spend a bunch of time and effort and it can be saved...

My 2¢ worth start with verifying and reinforcing ALL grounds. They were weak originally. Good luck!

start another project.

What Frank said... Jerk the driveline, flush all compartments, get a clean roller, and start with that. You WILL NOT be happy about a yr later, with that salt infested car. [WASTED energy to attempt cleaning up what you have.]

What Frank said... Jerk the driveline, flush all compartments, get a clean roller, and start with that. You WILL NOT be happy about a yr later, with that salt infested car. [WASTED energy to attempt cleaning up what you have.]

Have to agree, sorry for his loss. Was it insured?? Hmmm, wonder if classic car insurance would cover flooding?

No insurance - it is a loss. I just spoke with him last night and he thinks he has it sold - with full disclosure of the salt water submersion. He sold it cheap. I am not sure what the buyer wants from it, but he knows what happened to it.

They make electrical contact cleaner, kind of like dry cleaning solvent. You could unhook any connections underdash, under the hood, etc and spray them, or at least hit them with some low pressure air to dry them. Remove the seats and carpet, clean them and reinstall them after making sure the metal is all dried out underneath (and/or coated in POR 15 as suggested). Car is DEFINITELY salvageable, just takes some time. I had someone break a window in a car during the rain, flooded the interior. I put a dehumidifier IN the car and ran it while I was nearby. Then removed the seats and carpet and used a steam cleaner while they were out of the car to get everything.

with salt theres no winning

ive dealt with a few from right after water receded
after a hose out and a drain and refill of fluids it might run , but that feeling of victory wont last
within days
harness connections will crumble , no cleaner or corrosion inhibitor will help , it deteriorates connectors rapidly
the harnesses are junk and theres more than just the dash harness and engine harness
fabric interior/carpet is junk , that saltwater stink can make you sick and the frame wires will crumble
dash radio controls all junk
the plastic can be washed

as for metal body , if the car was in salt water for any time the metal will corrode ,
being its day 9 id say it junk and will be rusting away in a few weeks
best chance on body would be if it had been adressed quickly (within an hour salt acts fast and is mean)
strip out the interior and all the floor matting and heavy matting
flush the car with fresh water (like drive it into a fresh water pond)
soak with corrosion imhibitor like WD that can seek out the cracksand displaces moisture
, dont seal it it needs to dry completely

the motor needs dissasembly , wash and reassebly , anything corroded goes to trash
you could drain and fill and redrain and fill and hope but the rest of the car will be apart so might as well just pull it apart redo and make sure its right
starter will be junk as will alternator ,cooling fan , blower and wiper motor
trans needs dissembly, clean and a rebuild with new clutches , anything corroded that is a contact surface goes to trash
rear needs to be disassembled all bearings washed and checked (replaced) , housing flushed and reassembled

pretty sure i was asked about this car a few days ago..its a shame
oh and it wasnt insured so i was told and besides it says so in OP

If it was mine.... I'd save it....... but I'm stubborn.

Newsflash......They quit making these cars several years ago..... what is out there now..... is it.

I'd remove all the interior..... take the seat covers off and everything.... hang the carpet out and wash with hot water.

I'd flush the engine/trans and rear end and refill everything.... drop in a new ECU.........clean all electrical connections, let dry, and put the electrical grease in there and reconnect. Then I would definately refire it up and drive it a little to get things moving again.

I'm sure there will be a ton of interior electrical items that will need replacing at some point.... like power window motors and switches.... brake switches.....etc.

It can be did....... but the time has to be took.........

There will be a ton of stuff that comes up in the future... it will take time and patience.

The ECM connections will be a major problem. I think we've all seen the effects of non-salt-rain-water on the unsealed connections and what it does. Add the salt water, the problem worsens exponentially.

If it were my car, I'd be unloading it quickly. He will never get it 100%. Give the salt water a chance to do its damage, there won't be much of a car left if he waits too long.

If it was mine.... I'd save it....... but I'm stubborn.

Newsflash......They quit making these cars several years ago..... what is out there now..... is it.

I'd remove all the interior..... take the seat covers off and everything.... hang the carpet out and wash with hot water.

I'd flush the engine/trans and rear end and refill everything.... drop in a new ECU.........clean all electrical connections, let dry, and put the electrical grease in there and reconnect. Then I would definately refire it up and drive it a little to get things moving again.

I'm sure there will be a ton of interior electrical items that will need replacing at some point.... like power window motors and switches.... brake switches.....etc.

It can be did....... but the time has to be took.........

There will be a ton of stuff that comes up in the future... it will take time and patience.

What do you mean by these cars were done being made several years ago? Do you mean the parts? What is out there now is it? As in the origina parts? or the aftermarket stuff that kirban sells like interior parts and everything?

What do you mean by these cars were done being made several years ago? Do you mean the parts? What is out there now is it? As in the origina parts? or the aftermarket stuff that kirban sells like interior parts and everything?

I mean the last one rolled off the assembly line in 1987....

At some point, there will be people salivating to get this car that was flooded with salt water to try and restore..... IMHO, these cars are the 70 SS Chevelles of the mid 80's and will someday be just as sought after regardless of condition practically.

But like I said, I'm stubborn.