Car hessitates after driving for 15 min

ekafrawy

United States of Space
For some reason, my 87 GN starts to hesitate and miss after I drive the car for about 10 - 15 min, then shut off the car for 5 then restart it. After i restart it, it begins to hesitate when i barely touch the gas.

I replaced the coil and ignition module and the same thing happens. My last option to try is to switch the mass air meter for a new one and see if that fixes it.

Is there anything else i can check that would cause this to happen.

Again, the car runs great for about 10 to 15 then it starts acting up if i shut it off then restart it.

Eric

Do you have a scanner? Is the check engine light coming on? Get the car scanned and see what kind of codes it is throwing, check all your plug wires for arching, look for vacuum leaks on ruber hoses, or leaks in the intake track AFTER the MAF sensor with some pb blaster around the intake as well

Check egr valve

Check it with turbolink, I had same problem with mine and it was a bad egr. No light but hesitated and lost major power.:smile:

all vacuum lines are new. same with plugs and wires. Scanmaster shows no MAL codes.

I just don't get why it only happens after driving it for a while.

Just something to check. My buddys car acted the same way after about 20 minutes the car would just run like crap. We changed everything you could think of and it still did the same thing. One day we decided to try my computer out of my car, because thats the only thing we didn't try, and then the problem dissapeared.

It seemed once the computer got warm the problems started to show up.

Just my $.02.

To check the MAF sensor take a screwdriver and use the handle and gently tap on the sensor, if it stumbles or dies you found your problem. But sometimes Ive seen doing this didn't do anything and the MAF was still bad. Another thing to check is the coolant temp sensor. You need to see what the computer is seeing from all of the sensors.

Good Luck.

Today i tried to swap out sensors with known good ones. I changed the coil, ignition module, MAF, and computer, and the hesitation is still there.

Fuel pressure set at 36psi vacuum off. Stock chip
I'm running out of ideas.

Problem solved. After replacing a bunch of crap including the egr. i took it to Russ Merrit. He had it fixed in no time. It turned out the be the cam sensor, which was out of adjustment.

Thanks for all the help,
Eric