car is shifting from 1st to 3rd seems to whine and hold 1s gear very long before shifting

camirocz

The tranny had been rebuilt before i bought it.86 regal t type with a few perfomance mods.Seems to totally bypass second gear ,going from 1st straight to third .Also it downshifts straight from 3rd to 1st when slowing down.I st gear seems to stick a bit then shifts into third even when applying the gaz lightly.I have no clue why its like this .Going to see my tranny guy next week does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Sounds like 1-2 band is gone or I believe they call it "glazed over"...ask me how I know!!! Come drive mine right now...does the same thing. Wont shift unless I lift slightly up on pedal. Super soft shift or it just runs out to 3rd. :mad:

The son of a gun told me tranny is done and it does have a bill for it but i guess was long ago.Anyway thanks buddy and my tranny guy gets to check it out on tuesday.Can i simply repair the 1-2 band or do i need to overhaul the whole damn tranny?

Any material that "sluffs" off from the band is going to get into all the small tight places inside the trans and torque converter. Overhaul is in order or you will have shifting problems and another possible burnup. Flush the lines with a "hot machine" or one that pulses. Test cooler flow to make sure there isn't a clogging happening. Around 3 qts a minute is good.

The son of a gun told me tranny is done and it does have a bill for it but i guess was long ago.Anyway thanks buddy and my tranny guy gets to check it out on tuesday.Can i simply repair the 1-2 band or do i need to overhaul the whole damn tranny?
My tranny was newly done in May...doesnt mean it still cant go bad. Shit happens.

Whatever the problem is it will be fixed quickly and then the fun begins.Love my 07 z06, and i really like this buick a lot.

Got it checked today and it was the second gear band ,the good news is i went to see the guys who tuned my z06,and one of the mechanics has two t types and lots of parts ,ill have him install fully built transmission with a 3200 stall torque that he has at home for a great price.He had originally built it for his t type that runs 9s at 138 mph !Transmission only has a few test runs he is now running a totally different set up.He se bringing my car to his home tomorrow night and i get it back the next day .It turned out ok i guess.