Car just shut off while cruising at 30 mph and will not start back up

gn87man

Hey guys,

Need some help...

I think one of my lifters is going out.....I am getting lots of knock just cruising down the road at 30 mph (about 1800 rpm). Sounds like the knock is coming from the top side of the engine (under the driver side valve cover).

Today I took the car around the block and got her up to about 30 mph and the lifter started knocking and the knock gage went to red and then all of a sudden, the engine just shut off (while cruising at 30 mph). When I came to a stop, I put her in Park and then tried to start her up. She would not even turn over....just heard the clicking noise from the starter. I tried jumping her with cables, but she would not even turn over (starter did not even turn over). I think my starter is out. What do you think?

But what would cause the car to just shut off going 30 mph at 1800 rpm? Does the knock gage make the car shut off for safety reasons.

Sorry if I sound ignorant about these cars....I am a newbie. :)

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

I think it was some sort of divine intervention by the grace of God that it stopped running, since you insisted on driving it when you were hearing it knock.

If you have a lifter gone bad and wiped a lobe, and you thought it was ok to keep driving, all you did was help cycle more trash through the engine, and probably need a complete rebuild now. You sure it was a lifter and not a rod? Maybe a rod broke and jammed up and now it can't crank.

Welcome to the forums!:blackeye:

I think it was some sort of divine intervention by the grace of God that it stopped running, since you insisted on driving it when you were hearing it knock.

If you have a lifter gone bad and wiped a lobe, and you thought it was ok to keep driving, all you did was help cycle more trash through the engine, and probably need a complete rebuild now. You sure it was a lifter and not a rod? Maybe a rod broke and jammed up and now it can't crank.

Welcome to the forums!:blackeye:

Thank you for the input. It was not knocking until I got the car up to about 1800 rpm. I thought the knock could possibly be the downpipe rattling up against the engine block or frame. This happened to the previous owner. But when the knocking grew louder, I only drove it about one block and was almost home (about 100 yards away) when the engine shut off. I literally just drove it about 3 blocks to see if I could determine where the knock was coming from. :(

Not a good way to start a day, that's for sure. These cars don't have a "fail safe" when it comes to knock or even low oil pressure. If it turned off after it was knocking bad, it was either a fluke and nothing more than you're out of gas, or something let loose. Put a socket on the crank and see if the engine turns freely without the starter. At least then you'll know the bottom end is in one piece.

Not a good way to start a day, that's for sure. These cars don't have a "fail safe" when it comes to knock or even low oil pressure. If it turned off after it was knocking bad, it was either a fluke and nothing more than you're out of gas, or something let loose. Put a socket on the crank and see if the engine turns freely without the starter. At least then you'll know the bottom end is in one piece.
Thanks so much! I will put the socket on the crank and see if the engine turns without the starter. I'll report my findings in the next few days. Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You may have locked up the engine. Since the starter wont turn the engine this is probably the case. You need to take a breaker bar and try turning over the engine. Try both directions. Remove the valve covers and see if there's any damage, look for a loose push rod, loose metal pieces.
Todd.

You may have locked up the engine. Since the starter wont turn the engine this is probably the case. You need to take a breaker bar and try turning over the engine. Try both directions. Remove the valve covers and see if there's any damage, look for a loose push rod, loose metal pieces.
Todd.
Thank you so much Todd. I will try the breaker bar. I will also remove the valve covers and see if I can find any loose pieces.

Looking at your other posts, you already seem to have known you had an issue. (n)
I actually did not know for sure exactly what was causing the knock. It would only occur above 2000 rpm. I thought it might be a main bearing but was not sure. I could not really hear anything at idle. I had to get the car inspected in order to register it by 5/10, so I drove it at 20 mph up to the inspection station, about 1/2 mile from my house. It was on the way back from the inspection station that it locked up.

The engine should spin just by turning the intercooler fan FYI. No need for a breaker bar unless its locked up.