car shuts off while driving

SickNasty

something has drawn my battery down since ive owned the car and i cant figure out what it is. car is fine unless it sits overnight..then battery is dead. never caused anymore headaches other than that. a few days ago i had the car running and shut the hood and the car died. started it back up..shut the door and car dies...and same with deck lid. wierdest crap ive ever seen. so i drove it home and everytime i hit a decent bump in the road it dies and just shuts off...the battery light just comes on and it basically stalls out. but starts right back up like nothing was ever wrong. so as of now u can shut the hood and doors and it stays running...but when your driving it and hit a dip or bump in the road it just dies. something is shorting out....a wire must be right on something and the slightest movement shorts it??? checked all the fuses under the dash and they are good so whatever is doing this isn't popping any fuses. Any ideas of where to look or what else could be causing this issue?

appears like a dead short somewhere. I've heard of tilt column shorts that have done that. change the tilt position and see if it still cuts out. Also heard loose/ misaligned crank sensors can cause a sudden shut down. Also just read about a guy on this forum having a bad ecm causing same thing. Time to look real close at underhood wiring for shorts, particularly near the starter . Good luck.

ok i will check the column. i had a suspicion it could be there... i will also check crank sensor. maybe i can borrow an ecm from somebody to test that. thanks for the reply gsgnnut. ill see what i can figure out.

Check the orange wire coming off your battery.
X2^

My 86 Ttype did the same thing a few times blowing a inline fuse I'm not sure if it was there by previous owner or factory but after 3rd time I ran a new power wire from battery to ecm with inline fuse. You may have a bad connection near the battery. Look for SES light when it dies. No light no power at the ecm if the light is on then ecm has power.

alright i will check all connections at the battery and orange inline fuse link coming off the battery first thing tomorrow. thanks for the reply

u guys were spot on. its the orange wire. right at the little black fusable link. now i just have to find a way to fix it. maybe put an inline fuse. what amp? thanks again

u guys were spot on. its the orange wire. right at the little black fusable link. now i just have to find a way to fix it. maybe put an inline fuse. what amp? thanks again
Can you take a picture of this fusable link?

Thx

I just ran a new wire straight to the ECM with inline fuse at the battery. Mine was shorted out somewhere between the battery and the ECM. I have a 10 amp in mine. I got stuck on the side of the road and had to cut my well phone charger to get to work one day. After that I figured a new wire and fuse would fix it for good.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1428714757.302547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1428716994.598920.jpg

It's the bottom wire that looks black with a black fuseable link in it. Wire is orange but looks black in the pic.

well there is the red wire coming off the hot side of the battery..going into the fuseable link then coming out of the fusable link it turns into the orange wire with the disconnect going to the ecm. my red wire coming off the battery was shot along with a little of the orange wire. so i cut the red wire off at the battery...ran a new wire from the hot side of the battery into a regular fuse holder with a 15 amp fuse..then spliced back into the orange wire before the disconnect. problem solved. drove it tonight and had 0 problems.

my battery is still being drawn down when car sits too long. i need to check and make sure all lights are going off. maybe a trunk light if there is one. i believe passenger side sun visor has a light next to the mirror if im thinking right...maybe a glove box light. i know its something stupid. just finding it can be a pain. my electric fan quit working a month ago..that i still need to fix. already replaced the porcelain resistor once and it worked fine for the longest time. ..and razors alky pump quit working a few days ago. hit 21 or 22 #'s and got some weird knock and pulled the line and purged it and sure enough nothing. controller works fine...all alky lights work.. must be something with the pump. i need to make sure its getting juice. so mixed in 3.5-4 gallons of turbo blue with a tank of 93 for now and its working fine. this car keeps me busy that's for sure.

Put a 12vdc test light between the neg. bat post and the neg. cable and start pulling fuses one at a time.....that will get you in the general area to look.
What did i win for the first fuseable link guess?