Car starts then shuts off after 2-3 seconds ??

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
This started the other day when I went to lock the car with the older Viper alarm systems key fob . It would lock with the arming button but wouldn't unlock . I opened the door with the key , set the alarm off , then it finally disarmed with the key fob . Decided to not use the alarm and went to a show yesterday . All was fine until I went to leave and had this start and shut off after 2-3 seconds problem , and had to trailer the car home . The viper alarm appears to be working correctly now ( arms & disarms like it use to ) , but still does the same thing . I do not loose fuel pressure at all , still at 40 psi after shut off . Is this a function of the factory alarm system ?? I had a 04 Grand Am that did this exact same thing with the start - shut down . Any help would be appreciated , Sam

Last edited:
The factory alarm cuts power to the starter if it doesn't get disarmed. Try putting the key in the driver door lock and unlocking, that will disarm the factory alarm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have tried all of the manual disarming methods , including the unlock , lock with power lock switch and unlock with key . Funny thing is security light acts like it should , flashing unarmed , solid on armed , off when starting . I read something about a magnetic switch in the key cylinder , does our cars have that ?

No magnetic strip.

Are you still using stock maf? Try unplug the it and see if it runs.

Are you still using stock maf?
No , translator & LS1 maf.
It starts fine runs for about 3 seconds then dies , it will restart and do it all over again and I never lose fuel pressure , definitely ignition cut-off . Is there anything on the TT chip for anti-theft ?

I don't think there is, maybe try disconnecting the battery.

Only thing I could suggest is looking at that viper alarm system, is it tied to any part of the ignition or fuel system?

That's what I originally thought because of the problem I had the day before , but after a battery change in the key fob it "seems" to lock , unlock , and arm & disarm the system . The viper alarm came with the car when I got it and I can't even find the hidden valet switch . I was hoping it was the factory alarm and fix it at home cause it's sitting on the trailer right now with a no start condition .

Do the dash lights stay on after it dies?

da243b2d16d8e455ae3f9aecdb6fff5c.jpg
741a3f4a030599e798d73e8a3a2d3d0d.jpg
88c5826036ac410a738b55b4716dac86.jpg
cc9696f9d2c2bc18a35d9bf3280b2012.jpg

2 hours to back all this crap out and they cut into more than half the wires on the column. The solenoid wire was 100% interrupted. $200/hr isn't enough to deal with the grief of this type of work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the dash lights stay on after it dies?

It looks like when you first turn on the ignition .... all the dash lights come on , just like if the car stalls after it was running .

Bison that looks a little like my rats nest . My Viper system seems to work ok , it will even remote start the car but then it dies 3 seconds after it starts .

I didn't know it was a remote start, is the tach sense wire hooked up?

Anyone have the schematic of the anti-theft circuits ?

I didn't know it was a remote start, is the tach sense wire hooked up?

Don't know , I'll check tomorrow . I didn't even know it had remote start until yesterday !!