Car was smoking a lot.. need some advice.

tonys87

I decided to take the car out today and I got on it, just a bit.. im only running 16psi. afterwards the car started to smoke at idle and whenever you rev the car. I mean the car was smoking like crazy. early that morning i had installed a autozone pcv in line with my excisting RJC pcv. i thought that might be the issue so I removed it and plugged the vacuum line. that didnt change anything. I then removed all tubing to turbo and there was no oil present anywhere. so I hooked everything up and take her out.. NO SMOKE!!! im like what the hell.. it cant go from crazy smoke to zero... I then noticed i left the actuator un hooked. so i took her out for a spin anyways.. zero smoke at idle, running or reving. so then i decide to hook up the actuator and rev it at idle.. the car started to smoke a bit.. remove it again and zero smoke.. so im a bit confused?! is it the turbo even though there was no signs of oil... or is the boost creating another issue inside the motor??

Also the turbo is only 3 years old with about 1500 miles...that is why Im a bit on the fence on just blaming the turbo. is there a chance the boost is pushing oil through the valves?

Boost will cause intake and ex pressure which will stop a turbo from smoking since the differential pressure is lower in the chra. As soon as the pressure is gone it will smoke again. The ex volume is lower at low throttle angles so the smoke is more visible.

could also be those teflon valve seals on the champion heads, drove me nuts for a month.

How can I trouble shoot this?

pop the valve cover off and look at the valve, if the seal popped off it will ride up the stem, sometimes they will just get chewed up, in that case you will have to take the spring off

tonys87 said:
So my turbo is a GT6765 DBB water cooled.. Can this turbo be rebuilt???

Yes it can. You should get it to smoke and shut it down and look at the turbine with a flashlight. You will see oil if it's leaking into the ex. I've replaced a lot of ex sealing rings on those turbos. Usually they have lost their tension and break into pieces when trying to remove them.

Yes it can. You should get it to smoke and shut it down and look at the turbine with a flashlight. You will see oil if it's leaking into the ex. I've replaced a lot of ex sealing rings on those turbos. Usually they have lost their tension and break into pieces when trying to remove them.

bison, is this something you can do for me or do you recommend anyone else?