Car Wont Start

msharkf2

Just installed rebuilt engine along with new fuel pump and hot wire kit. We got the car fired up and running. Everything appeared to be OK good oil pressure and fuel pressure. Finished buttoning up things like removing mechanical oil gauge, draining radiator and adding anti freeze, removing fuel pressure gauge. Drove car out of garage on its own power and while letting it warm up, had to add power steering fluid as it was very low. Was adding fluid and turning steering wheel to get air out and motor stalled. Now. I cannot get car to restart. Battery was very low. Had just charged it prior to starting car and pulling it out of the garage. Recharged battery but car is still not starting. Thought it seemed like it was not getting fuel so I wired fuel pump direct so that is running constant and car still will not start. Has fuel pressure at the rail. Has about 40 lbs of fuel pressure when pump is on constant. When I remove constant supply, and rewire it thru relay of "hot wire kit" it drops to about 36 psi. When I try to start car (fuel pressure does not go up) Should fuel pressure go up for the 2 second fuel pump run until it sees oil pressure.What can I begin to check to eliminate possible problems. The starter is not the best and seems to have a dead spot in it. Battery was fully charged when I started the car this morning but after starting the car a couple of times and only running the car about 5-10 minutes, the battery is nearly dead. Could the low battery be causing car to not start or is there an electrical issue I should / could be checking. Thanks Mark

Have you checked for spark? Double check your crank sensor as it may have been loose or out of adjustment and may have been damaged.

"Battery was fully charged when I started the car this morning but after starting the car a couple of times and only running the car about 5-10 minutes, the battery is nearly dead."

The fuel pump will restart after prime, once the ecm sees an rpm signal.
Batt dead in that length of time may = a dead cell.
Poor starter performance, bad cables, poor grounds, all come into play.
Time to get the VOM out, get the starter and batt right.... Then go to work on the no start.
Suggest you put a mini starter on it, if there's not one there, already.
Scan tools? What do you have?
Check engine lite on when turning the key?

Did you check voltage with engine running? I was thinking the alternator is not charging. Key on engine off, do you have a Volt Light?

"Battery was fully charged when I started the car this morning but after starting the car a couple of times and only running the car about 5-10 minutes, the battery is nearly dead."

The fuel pump will restart after prime, once the ecm sees an rpm signal.
Batt dead in that length of time may = a dead cell.
Poor starter performance, bad cables, poor grounds, all come into play.
Time to get the VOM out, get the starter and batt right.... Then go to work on the no start.
Suggest you put a mini starter on it, if there's not one there, already.
Scan tools? What do you have?
Check engine lite on when turning the key?

Battery was new as of a couple months ago. When I came out to the garage, I noticed the Power antenna motor was running so I unplugged the power antenna. I then charged the battery as I was not sure how long the power antenna motor had been running so I know I started with a fresh charge. Starter does have a dead spot in it but after a couple tries of the ingition key eventually catches and once spinning turns over the engine fine. No scan tool just digital volt meter as this is a friends car and I'm just helping with the install of the engine. Will have to check for the "Check Engine Lite" when I get home as I'm at work right now. Should I be seeing a "Check Engine Lite" when key is on / cranking. I think the security light was flashing when the key was on and not cranking. I'm thinking alternator was not charging as that is why the battery went dead so quickly but after charging the battery, the engine will not start. I checked fuel pressure and its good at the rail.

Did you check voltage with engine running? I was thinking the alternator is not charging. Key on engine off, do you have a Volt Light?
No I was charging the battery to start engine so I could check alternator without removing it, but could not get engine to start even after charging battery. I do think the alternator was not charging and wanted to check it but was not able to. Could the drained battery have blown a fuse? I do have fuel pressure at the rail. I will have to check volt light when I get home as I'm at work right now. This car has the digital dash. I do remember the security light flashing with key on, engine not started.

No I was charging the battery to start engine so I could check alternator without removing it, but could not get engine to start even after charging battery. I do think the alternator was not charging and wanted to check it but was not able to. Could the drained battery have blown a fuse? I do have fuel pressure at the rail. I will have to check volt light when I get home as I'm at work right now. This car has the digital dash. I do remember the security light flashing with key on, engine not started.

OK I found a blown fuse under the dash 15 Amp Fuel Inj fuse also, by sheer luck I found a bare terminal jus behind the AC Compressor that was arcing on the back of the AC Compressor. This casued the Fuse to blow again. Anyhow I taped up the bare connector, replaced the fuse and the car fired right up. Picking up a new alternator today as the old one was shot.. That should take care of things. I would like to thank everyone for their input in helping to diagnose these issues.

Also check all your ground terminals and positive leads for corrosion.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app