Car won't stay running...

99Formula

So I got my MAF problems from the other day fixed... I cleaned the wire with a little rubbing alcohol, reset the ECM, put the settings back in the MaxE chip and everything was running great.
Anyhow, I stop at a parking lot down the street to adjust the cruise fuel setting on the chip and when I go to restart the car started into a choppy idle, then died completely. I undid the change I made to the chip but it didn't help. So here are the facts as I know them:

1) The car was low on fuel. At first I thought I had just run it out of gas. I threw in a couple of gallons, but the problem remains.

2) Once the car is started, I can almost keep it running by tapping on the accelerator. But, every time I hit the accelerator, it sounds like the fuel pump has been switched off, or like the motor is sucking air through a straw... I let off the gas and the car gains about a hundred rpm, hit the gas and the car sounds like it's going to die, let off, gain a hundred rpm, etc.

3) Ocassionally when hitting the gas I can hear a popping from the vapor canister.

4) I can't find any vacuum lines or anything disconnected.

I'm kinda lost at this point... Is it possible I ran the car out of gas and fried the fuel pump? I can still hear it whining back there when I have the car on and the door open. This is driving me nuts cause the car was running so well today.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

This may not have any bearing on your problem, and I hesitate to mention it since you said you put a new MAF on.

BUT, your symptoms are EXACTLY what happened when my last stock MAF died while sitting in a parking lot. Came out to go to lunch and.... :mad:

Dave,
Well, I didn't put a new MAF on, but cleaned out the old one. Maybe my fix was only temporary... But even with the maf disconnected totally it didn't seem to run this bad. Not only that, but I haven't thrown a code which I did when I originally damaged it.

Peter