Carshow Feedback Wanted

whtT

One of the more interesting projects that I get the chance to work on is a local racing festival put on during the IRL race at Michigan International Speedway. The festival includes a 24 hour endurance go-kart race, snowmobile drag races, and a bunch of community events.

We also do a big community car show on the Friday night before the race. Almost all of downtown is blocked off and we hold the car show, an autograph session with the IRL drivers, driving simulators and pit stop simulators are brought in, they race go-karts on the streets, live bands, fireworks, etc. Myself and another guy in our office have kind of adopted this show as our own little pet project seeing as we're both car nuts. This show draws everything from turbo Buicks to street rods to muscle cars to new Camaro's and Firebirds and a lot of Corvette's (AutoWeek holds their Corvette festival at MIS that weekend).

So my question to all of you is :
  • What do you like to see/do at a car show?
  • What would make you drive an hour to another town on a Friday night for a show?
  • Would working packages with local drag strips (within an hours drive) help bring you in?
  • Family activities?
  • Food?

We're going to start the planning process for this on Friday and I was looking for a little input. Anyone here have experience putting on a major car show? We have some pretty serious outlets on our disposal if needed, but we're looking to really make this a huge deal and get local custom and race shops involved etc.

Thanks for any help or comments....

I'ld like to see a wet tee shirt contest. :biggrin: