catch can

I use a small JLT catch can for the PCV mounted near the AC dryer and a Moroso vented catch can for the valve covers mounted under the driver's side headlights on the core support.

Engine 2015-2.jpg

My stroker made a boat load of vaccum with my little 210/210/110 cam for a mostly street car with an otherwise TSM internals. I deleted my PCV because it was always sucking oil into the intake. Catch can worked, but I got tired of it. Turns out, in SW FL, on the water, I had a lot of moisture in my engine. It stained my crank pretty good and made the balancer next to impossible to remove due to "rust". I'm going to go with an electric pump to pull instead of going back to a traditional PCV.

No one has mentioned exhaust/downpipe e-vac T-ins. I guess they don't work all that well?
Those old beat to chit hot-rods at the track seem to still use them.

IMO get a electric vacuum pump and call it a day. I have never not run a PCV on my car. I run a valley pan that keeps my PCV from sucking in oil and making a mess of my intake. I have done the K&N breathers on the valve covers..... that was short lived. Hated the smell of oil vapors it constantly lets off and seeps inside the cockpit of the car. The catch can is no different. I did that too, until I got pulled over by the cops and they gave me a $365 ticket for venting crankcase pressure into the atmosphere. The funniest thing is, I spent a lot of money buying nice fittings, lines, catch can etc, only to find out that it doesn't collect shit in it (not a drop). lol. So my last attempt was my best one. I run Moroso breathers and each valve cover, it routes under the intake where I have them tied together with a T. One line comes out the back of the intake to my evac pump which is mounted where the factory charcoal canister is, and a line is run off of there which I run into the frame of the car. It's triggered by a hobb switch that comes on at 5 pounds of boost. The system prevents those pesky valve cover leaks after beating it up, the smell of oil vapors, and doesn't give me any tickets if I get pulled over.

IMO get a electric vacuum pump and call it a day. I have never not run a PCV on my car. I run a valley pan that keeps my PCV from sucking in oil and making a mess of my intake. I have done the K&N breathers on the valve covers..... that was short lived. Hated the smell of oil vapors it constantly lets off and seeps inside the cockpit of the car. The catch can is no different. I did that too, until I got pulled over by the cops and they gave me a $365 ticket for venting crankcase pressure into the atmosphere. The funniest thing is, I spent a lot of money buying nice fittings, lines, catch can etc, only to find out that it doesn't collect shit in it (not a drop). lol. So my last attempt was my best one. I run Moroso breathers and each valve cover, it routes under the intake where I have them tied together with a T. One line comes out the back of the intake to my evac pump which is mounted where the factory charcoal canister is, and a line is run off of there which I run into the frame of the car. It's triggered by a hobb switch that comes on at 5 pounds of boost. The system prevents those pesky valve cover leaks after beating it up, the smell of oil vapors, and doesn't give me any tickets if I get pulled over.

Mike, it sounds like you're still venting to atmosphere.

Mike, it sounds like you're still venting to atmosphere.

Yes Sir you are 100% correct. It has to vent some how. My thing is not the effectiveness of K&N breathers and catch cans. It's my personal experience with me having them on my car and smelling it inside my car when I'm driving. Whether it's thru the air vents or thru the firewall, it's something that I personally hate to ingest. The $365 ticket was just the icing on the cake for me to change that set up. It is vented to atmosphere under boost, but the way it's routed, I have a tube coming off of my evac pump that goes into the fender and ran into the frame of my car. To the naked eye, and the "police" more importantly, nothing is vented into the atmosphere that they can "visually" see and give me a ticket for. And running it the way I did, I don't smell it either.

My stroker made a boat load of vaccum with my little 210/210/110 cam for a mostly street car with an otherwise TSM internals. I deleted my PCV because it was always sucking oil into the intake. Catch can worked, but I got tired of it. Turns out, in SW FL, on the water, I had a lot of moisture in my engine. It stained my crank pretty good and made the balancer next to impossible to remove due to "rust". I'm going to go with an electric pump to pull instead of going back to a traditional PCV.
You can put a small jet in the hose to restrict the suction a bit.

Does anyone know what AN fittings will fit in the valve covers? Id rather not weld fittings in if possible

Metco make a push in style AN Valve Cover Adapter.
Depending on which valve covers you have will dictate which AN Valve Cover Adapter.

I have TA performance valve covers and use (2) of these for -10AN
Got -10AN x push fit 90's and using 5/8" heater hose (similar ID to -10AN but less $) to vent into catch can that is routed back into MAF pipe pre turbo and downstream of my MAF.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/products.asp?cat=121

Here's some pics of my set up.
2 catch cans: 1 for PCV routed back to plenum with check valve in line, other catch can for valve cover breathers routed back into MAF pipe

Attachments

• valvecoverbreather1.jpg
    valvecoverbreather1.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 301
  • twincatchcans.jpg
    twincatchcans.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 211
  • catchcantomafpipe.jpg
    catchcantomafpipe.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 191
  • mafpipeconnection1.jpg
    mafpipeconnection1.jpg