Changing gearing as in AOD

CopGn

In the AOD you have the option of raising the first gear ratio to a 2.84 from what the 2.48 I believe. My question is how will this affect a turbo car as the torque mutiplication will be increased sooner and building boost on a more modified car? On the street I think it would be a benifit by raising your RPMs but on the line I think high boost launches would be limited.

as long as the input shaft and output shaft are held stationary when preparing to launch and the torque applied to the driveline cannot overcome the final drive,rear brakes and tires spooling of the turbo will not be affected at all until the instant the turbine shaft is released and it begins to drive the planetary gear set.at this point the aod with wide ratio will allow the engine and turbo to gain rpm much faster which would be beneficial in most applications where the size of the turbo and the exhaust velocity needed to spin it were at the higher end of the rpm spectum for a given bore and stroke combination.where the engine arrives in rpm during a 1/2 shift will be another scenario.now without the use of a transbrake if the energy stored in the driveline can overpower the rear tires with a 2004r or th 400 the wide ratio aod will do this at an even lower rpm reducing boost building amounts before smoking the tires.here is the answer though.we now use a stock 2.40 /' 1.47 aod and the problem dissappears.some vehicles with high power will almost certainly benefit from this as it puts us on the higher ends of the power curve during gear changes reducing ets and promoting traction.