Changing Rod Bearings Need Info.....

TurboRussty

I will be changing the rod bearings on my tr it has a slight low sounding noise coming from the oil pan. but not that loud. you cannot hear it from the front of the motor only from the side of the car or rear from below and not up top. when you hold the rpm's to about i would say 2-2,500 rpms directly under the harmonic balancer from the front of the motor you can hear an intermitent dook-dook noise very low, and very hard yo describe.

i wanted to know what part #'s for clevite 77 bearings do i use i will be putting in standard size bearings in as it is not sounding to loud. also what is the torque spec on the rod bolts for these things.

and if possible a p/n for a fel-pro oil pan gasket set.

please get back if anyone has a detailed process for doing this job on the floor and on the bottom of the car.

please get back a.s.a.p. as i want to get this over with.

I was trying to see if my buddy can give you his opinion, but I couldn't get a hold on him. Maybe tommorrow. Don't touch anything yet until you talk to this guy. He really knows his sh!t . Trust me.
Later
:cool:

Rod Bearing replacement

Torque values are as follows: (From www.gnttype.org)

Connecting rod bolts: 40 Ft-Lbs

Oil pan to block - 88 INCH-Lbs
Oil screen pickup to block - 96 INCH-Lbs ( use locktite!)

I don't know the part# for the clevite bearing.

GM Gaskets are:

Oil pan #25521994
Oil pickup #24501259

Felpro Gaskets:

Oil Pan - #90161
Oil Pickup - #12999

The set???? Both gaskets? OS3052112?

I did the #1 rod bearing on my car. I heard a knocking when the car was brought up to about 3000RPM and then let off. I discovered that it was #1 by disconnecting the injector connector from each injector in turn and listening to when the noise changed. I think this happened when near the end of the 1/4 when I got about 5* of knock at 24# of boost.... :eek:

I changed it in my driveway on jackstands... a hoist would have been nice, but not necessary. Removed the old one... it was scored. Put in the new one with some plastiguage.. torqued it up to 40 Ft-Lbs, unbolted it and checked the clearance and it was fine. Bolted it all back together and no more knock. The car had 40000 Km on it before the change, and I have now driven it for about 1000 km and it is fine.

Get the car up on jackstands on all 4 corners... take off the converter cover, take off the crossover pipe, drain the oil, remove all the bolts on the oil pan... there are 2 different sizes.. the ones on the front of the pan are smaller. You will need some of the elbow joints for your ratchet to get all the bolts.

Try to take off the pan... if it won't come off, take a look and see if the crank is in the way.. if so, turn the flywheel with a wrench on one of the converter bolts or a flat screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel so that the crank is not in the way, then pull it off. You do not need to jack up the engine to get the pan off.

Bearing clearance limits for the connecting rods should be .0005 in. - .0026 in. ( from www.gnttype.org)

Replace the bearings... button everything back up, fill it up with oil. Disconnect the orange wire by the battery and crank the engine until you get oil pressure. Connect the orange wire, and fire it up.

I hope that helps.

Jack
Jack@Huisman.com

Before you go to the trouble of changing rod bearings check to make sure the torque convertor bolts are tight and the flywheel isn't cracked or loose. If that checks ok remove the belt from the motor and check the crank end play with a dial indicator if possible. Pry the crank forward and backwards. Should be around .003 -.013" . If it has spun the bearing in the rod the rod will have to be removed and resized.

And also all the torque spec and part #'s and everything else you need to know about a turbo regal is right here gnttype.org

Mains- MS-960P, Rods CB-1228P. Make sure your bearings are standard first. Even from the factory the mains can be .001s. Check em before you order!

if the t/c flywhell bolts are loose that would cause it to make a noise like a rod bearing hhmmm... i never new that one but i guess i will go down and check them ....:eek: