Changing your oil is stupid and a waste.

deezdad

So says a coworker of mine with a company van, wich is a 2010 chevy express 2500 cargo. He got it brand new and has put 45000 miles on it, the jack wagon hasn't changed the oil once! "Do you ever check the level atleast? "...answer "nahhh". Looked over at his dash and all kinds of service engine soon messages were scrolling across the odometer. All this at a time when our company wont tolerate us costing them any time or money...gonna laugh my ass off when this thing blows up!

How many miles more until he gets a new one?

If I turned a car over every 70K or so I'd only change it a couple of times. :p

Then again I need to get 200K or more out of each Buick that's like 7,000,000 oil changes. :eek::oops:

I think that people change their oil more than necessary quite a bit, but that is crazy. I'm surprised it went that long.

tell him to keep driving as is until 100,000 if it lasts that long. then offer to drop the pan to have a look:oops:

Since it's a company vehicle, doesn't the fleet manager (if there is one) keep tabs on that sort of thing?

How many miles more until he gets a new one?

If I turned a car over every 70K or so I'd only change it a couple of times. :p

Then again I need to get 200K or more out of each Buick that's like 7,000,000 oil changes. :eek::oops:
They like us to get 6 years out of them, mine is an 07 with 175,000 on it and runs fine...hes got a long way to go with his n truly beleives changing oil is a waste

Since it's a company vehicle, doesn't the fleet manager (if there is one) keep tabs on that sort of thing?
Most "managers" don't pay attention to the vehicles unless it's broken, believe me.:mad: I've had one company that had a seperate company that did the maintenance and they turned down normal required maintenance so the vehicle would just get back on the road.:rolleyes:

Ever see seinfeld when george works for kreuger industries, a company in complete dissaray? Well that pretty much describes us...yes we do have a full time fleet mechanic as there are over 125 vehicles on the road, and he is supposed to keep records on all of them...heck half of us are driving around without inspection stickers

I had a toyota highlander come in with 42k and neer had an oil change. They brought it in when it started smoking and the engine light came on. It was so sludged up the vvt was causing it to backfire out the intake and the exhaust. I drained the oil and it was like tar.I pulled the lower pan and it looked like another pan. The guy was laughing and told us the warranty would cover the engine.He started getting loud when I asked for maintenance records:eek:. I change my oil every 5-6k .The 3000 mile service is bs set up by the aftermarket. Most dealers want to see at least 1 oil change every 5000 miles for warranty

My 08 Silverado has the miles set at 7500, for oil change interval. I guess GM isn't using the old 3K deal, any longer.

hello; I don't know when the oil change interval changed but it has. My sister just got a new Suburu and they say 7500 mile oil changes even thou there book says 3000 first and 7500 next. I recommended to her to change at 3000 and 7500 after that. People say oils,metals,assembly helps in the interval. Things have changed and it seems to be working. I use Mobil one and advertising helps in sales. The ad I like is John Force talking about Castrol and calling it "liquid engineering" . That IMO will help in sales and I use to be a big Castrol fan.
All I know I've increased my intervals and 3000 mile change is gone. This is for street car use.
IBBY

Some jackass in my company had a brand new f-150 drove it over over 20k then I pull dipstick no oil! Reported his ass to my manager and his superior..in the end he got it taken away and will not be given another truck. :)

Some jackass in my company had a brand new f-150 drove it over over 20k then I pull dipstick no oil! Reported his ass to my manager and his superior..in the end he got it taken away and will not be given another truck. :)
How the hell did the engine not seize if he had no oil?

The original TB oil change schedule was 5000 or 7500 back in 1986

Ill have to look under my visor again to remember but it is one of those

Most of my vehicles get changed every 5 to 6 K. Most are used on the highway so they sit at steady speed most of their lives. They warmed up enough to burn off any hydrocarbons and moisture.

I still dont take any chances and 5 to 6 K. Now my fun cars are done a little more often

hello; I did an experiment that's not complete. I have like 245,000 on my 94 van and I let the oil change go to 8000 miles with a Fram 3980 filter (same as TB) with one qt. added in between of M1. I want to cut open the filter and see what I can see. Not much of an experiment but it might be interesting.
IBBY