Changing your oil is stupid and a waste.

Rafs-T-Type said:
How the hell did the engine not seize if he had no oil?

It only had a quart and a half left but that was enough to piss off me and the managment. Our employees sign a contract to be responsible with fleet vehicles.

Yeah original GN sticker on visor said change every 7500 miles!!
A guy from Blackstone just did a test on old engine oil buying unopened cans of oil in the old cardboard containers and found age does nothing to oil so changing your oil every year in a car that was only driven a few hundred miles was a waste.

Yeah original GN sticker on visor said change every 7500 miles!!
A guy from Blackstone just did a test on old engine oil buying unopened cans of oil in the old cardboard containers and found age does nothing to oil so changing your oil every year in a car that was only driven a few hundred miles was a waste.
Air didn't get to that oil, and if it was in a can it was probably really old and I'm sure formulations have probably changed since then. Do you have a link to the full story?

Air didn't get to that oil, and if it was in a can it was probably really old and I'm sure formulations have probably changed since then. Do you have a link to the full story?
Here is the link to part1, part2 has not been published yet I do not think.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/News...ist&utm_campaign=b284759b87-&utm_medium=email
Those old cans had a lot more air than the tight bottlenecks do today and there isn't anything in oil that would deteriorate from air exposure molecularly since the oil is only a medium for the additives. The test also were done to demonstrate if the additives would settle to the bottom. There were many discussions on bobistheoilguy about them.

If you do an oil change every 5000 miles and it costs $50. Thats $1000 over 100,000 miles.

Doesnt anybody see thats .01 penny a mile?

how about just check your oil before you change? i dont care about mileage i check for the smell make sure it doesnt smell wash'd down with fuel... i rub it between my fingers to feel the viscosity of the oil and lastly i always look at the color it'll tell you alot about your motor.. i have a buddy of mine who changes his oil and 500 miles later its black. my motor has about 2k miles on the ost recent oil change, and looks brand new.. ALOT of guys here like to run there car's very cool..good thing but also a bad thing. From what i understand oil needs to get to a certain temp for it to work 100% efficiently..most new cars run 190-210 you just dont notice it.. makes oil last longer and your engine stays cleaner because of the oil detergents keeps engine clean..

btw johndeere i like your avatar...can you fake an orgasm and post it on here so we can all have a good laugh..?

Oil in a sealed container is different than oil sitting in a crank case, with a breather. In an engine, water/ condensation gets in and you have sludge.

Mike B.