charging help

N2HIPSI

1 of 463
I just reinstalled my motor. Everything worked great when I took it apart. I had 13.5 volts minimum before I pulled it apart. However, the scanmaster is saying the best charge I have now is 11.5 volts. It does'nt increase when I rev the engine. I tested it with a volt meter and found the same thing. I had the alternator checked at advanced and auto zone and it checked out good. Any other ideas? Thanks

Also be sure you have 12 volts at the "exciter wire" connected to the alternator or it won't make power.( may be less than 12 volts because of a resistor around the dash charge lite) - some voltage will do the trick.

forgot about the exciter wire, my was all wobbled out and would not make contact , autostupid has them for about $4.00

Thanks guys. I also noticed I'm not getting a light in the dash when the key is on. What does this mean?

As I recall, the exciter wire lites the dash lite and also has a resistor around the lite in case of bulb failure so in any case the alternator will receive voltage. When the bulb doesn't lite with key on engine off-- usually burned out or poor contact.