Chasing a coolant leak

blacknight80

I was under my car poking around and I noticed some coolant on my cross pipe. I traced it up and it seems to be coming from above the starter. My knock sensor was leaking so I tefloned it and it didn't stop the wet cross pipe and starter. I don't have white exhaust and my oil is clean. I also just changed my spark plugs and they were all black and sooty. Head gasket? Loose head bolts?

Could be those but probably not. Most likely a freeze plugs is backing out or corroded.

The knock sensor can't leak. There is nothing below it. If you put teflon on the threads, it won't "hear" the knocking correctly. It must be torque to 13 ft lbs. (double check this number)

The knock sensor isn't in water? The last knock sensor I did was on a 96 gmc half ton and it was in a water jacket so I figured they all were. Does the turbo have to come off to access the intake bolts. The accessory mounts and oil pan bolts were slightly loose so I think I better go through the works ams re torque the whole thing to be safe.

The Teflon deafens the sensor get rid of it

Or the next leak will be the head gaskets

How about a leaky heater hose, where it connects to the core? Isn't that near there?

Could be those but probably not. Most likely a freeze plugs is backing out or corroded.

I'm with WarWagon. Did mine last year. Chased an overheating problem for years. Could not find the leak with or without a pressure pump. Then last year I saw small droplets coming from below the passengers side freeze plug. I was shocked when I popped it out. It was as thin as paper. Checked the other side above the starter and it was just as bad. One hell of a job doing them with the engine on. It's a hit or miss. I lucked out. Bought the entire freeze plug set in a kit from Summit Racing. I remembered the OEM's didn't leak enough for me to find them all these many years. When I pushed a screwdriver into the bad plug it went straight through. Amazing...