cheap/easy upgrades to 200-4r

1 quik6

I am in the middle of a complete engine build/new turbo/combo project that has taken much more time/money than I ever anticipated. Please see my sig below for my combo.

While the engine is out we removed the transmission to change the governor weight and increase the shift points. As long as the transmission is out are there any simple/cheap upgrades I should be making? The transmission is low miles (car only has 23,000 miles) and worked fine with the old engine. I will probably someday pull this trans out to put a bulletproof built one in. I had somebody tell me they ran a GN with a stock transmission turning 10.80's, does that sound realistic? I just don't have the time to upgrade the transmission or rear at this time, I'll be taking it a little easy at the track for a while. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

A trans cooler is a must. I have many customers that have gone many passes in the 10's on completely good stock transmissions. Eventually they needed to have the trans rebuilt by me to handle these passes. Makes you wonder, doesn't it....

Tranny cooler...definitely!! I'm putting a nice finned aluminum tranny pan on mine, that'll add about an extra 1qt capacity and help keep the fluid slightly cooler. I'm also installing a shift kit/ valve body kit/ shift reprogrammer...whatever name you choose to call it. Nothing harsh, I'm just wanting to firm my shifts up a little to get rid of some of the overlap. That'll help cut down on wear and heat some. I got my tranny pan and shift kit for about $250 I think, and they both can be done in a day. There are many shift kits out there, I personally like Trans Go because they have good quality and detailed instructions. I've seen tranny coolers for about $75 for a decent one. There ya go...$325 and a days work and you have made some good improvements that will make your tranny live a little longer.:cool:

One other thing is to add a remote filter from summit. Less than $100 and it filters better than the stock strainer.

Atleast change the stator support while you are there,it requires removing the pump but it's fairly simple. It could leave you stranded.

So I guess I'm going to install a cooler then. It sounds pretty unanimous.

That must be a treat to install on a TTA with all of the other stuff cluttering that front end (AC, radiator, intercooler) with no actual grill for airflow.

Hopefully this holds up long enough for my "race fund" to accumulate enough cash that a fully built transmission is possible in a year or two.

Thanks for the Help,

Eric