Cherokee-3.8 turbo-Trans?

wahoo50

Have a nice 99 Cherokee 4X4 in need of an engine. Also have a 52/k mile 3.8 turbo engine needing a home. So, why not a lighter vehicle with turbo power and 4X4? Problem is-because I want to keep the 4X4, which trans. would be the smartest choice?

hope you have alot of money, but keep us posted, id be interested in seeing the results.

Have a nice 99 Cherokee 4X4 in need of an engine. Also have a 52/k mile 3.8 turbo engine needing a home. So, why not a lighter vehicle with turbo power and 4X4? Problem is-because I want to keep the 4X4, which trans. would be the smartest choice?

I assume you think the 4x4 cherokee is lighter than a regal? Have you ever weighed a cherokee?

My 2wd S10 Blazer ('89) with aluminum headed 350/aluminum intake/carb... aluminum radiator...etc.... was 3800#. I would guess the cherokee would be at least that heavy... probably even heavier.... since it has 4x4....

Use a BOP T400 with the correct output shaft and factory adaptor for the transfer case you want to use. There was a Cherokee with a turbo 3.8 sold on e-bay not long ago but never found out what trans and transfer case they used. The transfer case you need will be a drivers drop due to the axle having the diff on the drivers side. The reason for the info on the transfer case is I think you may need more than what is in the cherokee now (NP231, NP242). I guess it depends what you plan to do with it though.

Good luck,
Jim

Great feedback. Thanks so much. I would stroke the 4.0 and turbocharge it but the trans. would not last. Would expect to spend $5/k on this, so, why not the 3.8? I thought maybe a 7004R and transfer from an S-10. Not sure which side the front driveshaft is on. May not work.

Money's not a problem, just like something different and really like a cool sleeper. I don't drag race or rock crawl so this would be strickly a street machine going off road occasionally.

Although I think the Cherokee is lighter than my GN, I'm not sure. Thanks for your ideas.

I assume you think the 4x4 cherokee is lighter than a regal? Have you ever weighed a cherokee?

My 2wd S10 Blazer ('89) with aluminum headed 350/aluminum intake/carb... aluminum radiator...etc.... was 3800#. I would guess the cherokee would be at least that heavy... probably even heavier.... since it has 4x4....

Cherokees are light as hell for an SUV. The sheetmetal is paper thin and they are unibody. By nephews have 3 S10 blazers and a 91 Cherokee. there is no comparison between them. The blazers feel like trucks, the cherokee feels like a jacked up, 4X4 Renault alliance with a 4.0L and straight front axle.

A full option 4X4 4.0L is around 3300 lbs. The early 90's 4.0L's were closer to 3000 lbs.

If you have never weighed one... you might be suprised....

My S10 was 3980 with me... I'd never guessed that. I'd think it should have been 3600 maybe with me in it...

Most vehicles are heavier than we think if you haven't gone across a set of scales.

curb weight for Cherokees is right at 3000 lbs. They are very light. That little 4.0 doesn't make a whole lotta power but my buddies used to tear up a whole lot of ricers and V6 mustangs lol.

curb weight for Cherokees is right at 3000 lbs. They are very light. That little 4.0 doesn't make a whole lotta power but my buddies used to tear up a whole lot of ricers and V6 mustangs lol.

With a few mods we use to kill 5.0 Mustangs up through 2 gear then it was over. LOL

My son doing what he does best, beating on my stuff, although the open Borla header sounds cool:

Dang%20it%20Zack
[/URL][/IMG]

Jim

I just dropped some scrap at the recycling center and my '95 s-10 only weighs 2950#s, but it's a 2.2 5spd standard cab with rubber mats and no options except air conditioning. I wouldn't even worry about making the thing 4 wheel drive. Just put a tire on the back. It would be simpler, cheaper, and faster.

S-10 700r4 with transfer case has a driver's side output with NP207 transfer case. Full size chevy up to 1987 with a 700R4 has a passenger side output with an NP208 transfer case. You need a Chevy V8 bellhousing and then an adapter for the B-O-P engine you have. Don't use a TH400-they use a 2.46 first gear. That sucks for off road unless you have 4.11 rear gears. The 700R4 has a 3.08. Then you can just get the proper transfer case depending on your output. All of the chevy parts are available from the wrecking yard.