Cherry red header @ #5

cimi4749

Just buttoned up and ran the motor after head gasket failed at cylinder 3. Started up fine, chased down a coolant leak at the heater box and then found this... scary.

Attachments

• 20171116_165742.jpg
    20171116_165742.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 318
Sustained hi idle? If not, looks like it's real lean.
Inj bad?
Intake leak?
Header cracked?

Just buttoned up and ran the motor after head gasket failed at cylinder 3. Started up fine, chased down a coolant leak at the heater box and then found this... scary.

Not saying its it .. But I had a T-type a customer brought in for being low on power .. As Chuck mentioned ( check the injector ) ... I took out the injectors and they all flowed low .. but the 1 was down to 20%

check engine light? code 42? A code 42 puts the module in cranking mode and runs the timing at 10* BTDC.

Check the reluctor ring on your harmonic balancer. Looks like it has moved or damaged and altered your timing.

I'd also check the exh valve on that cyl

I'd also check the exh valve on that cyl

The exh valve would not cause it to glow red like that. It would have a huge miss if that were the case. This is ignition related. Your timing is out. Somewhere between the harmonic to the ignition module, something is off. I would start with the cam sensor (check the teeth, make sure it didn't skip or get damaged) and make sure it is fazed properly (not 180 degrees out), then look underneath at the harmonic (reluctor ring) and crank sensor.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is beyond appreciated. I'll have some time to check things out tm. I have a scanmaster g and can do a log and post it here.

Just to address a few items:
- injectors were just cleaned and flowed before install
-not getting a ces light
-can anyone recomend what to look for when inspecting the reluctor ring?

Ill report back soon.

Joe

The exh valve would not cause it to glow red like that. It would have a huge miss if that were the case. This is ignition related. Your timing is out. Somewhere between the harmonic to the ignition module, something is off. I would start with the cam sensor (check the teeth, make sure it didn't skip or get damaged) and make sure it is fazed properly (not 180 degrees out), then look underneath at the harmonic (reluctor ring) and crank sensor.

Sure it would.. if its bent or not seated fully.. its a typical case of that..

Typically if its ignition related it doesnt target just 1 cyl..

And no it wont always miss .. if he has 50% compression or higher you'd never know

To the OP.. do a compression test on that bank.. report back.. could even be a cracked head that warped a exh valve.. kinda ties in with a blown head gasket you just had

High EGT is related to fuel burning in the exhaust. So there are 4 main causes I can think off.

TPS was .52 so I adjusted that back and started it up got it up to temp and it didn't glow.
Anyone care to look at the scanmaster log?

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• 2017-11-18_15.23.22.xdl
    282 bytes · Views: 45
  • 2017-11-18_15.35.36.xdl
    37.3 KB · Views: 40
Just because the injectors were cleaned and flowed doesn't mean they are good after the service. I had a set done and 2 were dead when I installed them.

Sure it would.. if its bent or not seated fully.. its a typical case of that..

Typically if its ignition related it doesnt target just 1 cyl..

And no it wont always miss .. if he has 50% compression or higher you'd never know

To the OP.. do a compression test on that bank.. report back.. could even be a cracked head that warped a exh valve.. kinda ties in with a blown head gasket you just had

I have not had that experience with a hung open valve causing a header to glow, and my admission to this is, I have adjusted my own rockers incorrectly many times where I have left an exh valve open. It ran but didn't glow, but you can tell by the miss at idle that something wasn't done right, which led me to recheck all of my steps, only to find that I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer that day. lol
Another mistake I have learned from was the harmonic balancer. I bought BHJ balacer. It didn't come with a reluctor ring, so I thought nothing of it, and took the reluctor ring off of my stock balancer (didn't check or mark down how it was positioned) and put it on my BHJ balancer. When I fired up the car, it ran, but the idle was a little high and only the driverside bank would glow red after minutes of start up. With the back header glowing the most, the other 2 glowed, but not as noticeable until I turned off the lights in the garage.

I have not had that experience with a hung open valve causing a header to glow, and my admission to this is, I have adjusted my own rockers incorrectly many times where I have left an exh valve open. It ran but didn't glow, but you can tell by the miss at idle that something wasn't done right, which led me to recheck all of my steps, only to find that I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer that day. lol
Another mistake I have learned from was the harmonic balancer. I bought BHJ balacer. It didn't come with a reluctor ring, so I thought nothing of it, and took the reluctor ring off of my stock balancer (didn't check or mark down how it was positioned) and put it on my BHJ balancer. When I fired up the car, it ran, but the idle was a little high and only the driverside bank would glow red after minutes of start up. With the back header glowing the most, the other 2 glowed, but not as noticeable until I turned off the lights in the garage.

I've seen the exhaust valve issue many times.... valve alsh , incorrect pushrod length , bent valve .. all can do it ...

and yea On the balancer issue you saw.. seen that too .... got a BHJ balancer with the reluctor not phased right .. chased that issue for an entire day and wow was I pissed when I took the balancer off and realized it wasn't phased right ... I called them and they sent me a brand new one overnight and I sent them that one back..

It's the details that count !