Chevy motor problem(s)

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

Last year (June?) my son decided to pull the cast 383" stroker in his MCSS and build a new all steel, long rod motor. The main reason being the old motor was making a he!! of a racket, the source which we never could pinpoint. It seemed to be worse at idle and off-idle and at minimal loads. Some very serious clanking and misc. metal-to-metal noises that went away under acceleration or coast.

Well, he finally got around to inspecting the botton end and we found the crank end play had ballooned from 0.008" to 0.024"! I'm ASSuming the noises were the rods or wristpins banging around. What would cause the massive gain in end play? He had a TCI 3500 stall 10" converter which appears to be normal (no obvious swelling), is there a way to check it for damage?

Hmm... No real way to check the converter that I know of except to send it to the manufacturer or another place that can cut it apart to look at it. What transmission do you have behind it? Has it had any problems? Was the converter fully seated in the tranny when you took it out? I've also seen bad tranny's do this also so you may want to have that looked at too.

It's a T350 built by a local builder who has a pretty good rep with the 350's. Shifted fine as the day it was installed...