Chips and MPG

Spoolin Hooligan

Off the wagon Boost Addict
I am always poking around here reading stories. trying to broaden my knowleadge. And i see 500+HP and 20+MPG. I just want a basic run down on how to get that. Because im under 400HP and i would be lucky if i get above 13MPG. I know i can do the math to find out the MPG, but do you people have aftermarket equipment that shows your MPG, and what kind of fuel, chip, and tune should i be looking at. Im a novice so basic info would help thanks.

x2
unless its because people live in flat areas getting the higher mileage. I get mid-upper teens at best on the highway with the hills around here

With the D5 lockup converter I would get 24-25 mpg on the highway. But thats trying for milage. A steady 60- 65 mph for several hours straight. Maybe a radical buildup or non lockup would do worse.

Even after my race with a Corvette. I managed to get 19.5 mpg. And that was with a bunch of hills. So I'm pretty happy.

Does your chip have lean cruise? Do you have a locking converter? Is it locking?

I get low to mid teen's with a non lock 3600 stall. That's with lean cruise. All things considered that's pretty good. I do like to take off pretty hard. Very rare I pull away from a light like a normal person. :D

RL

I made several passes all around 140mph last Friday. Drove 235miles to and from the strip. Averaged 17mpg overall including the passes I made. If I drove like a sissy id get 20mpg. This is starting with a full tank and ending with a full tank and dividing mileage by gallons used. Other readouts have proven to be inaccurate most of the time. If you have a small hyd roller and the block learn is around 128 cruising you should be getting similar mileage or better. I was light cruising at 15:1 with 42* advance. Kept a light foot in hilly areas. This is on a ptc 9.5" NL and slightly aired down MT et streets.

I made several passes all around 140mph last Friday. Drove 235miles to and from the strip. Averaged 17mpg overall including the passes I made. If I drove like a sissy id get 20mpg. This is starting with a full tank and ending with a full tank and dividing mileage by gallons used. Other readouts have proven to be inaccurate most of the time. If you have a small hyd roller and the block learn is around 128 cruising you should be getting similar mileage or better. I was light cruising at 15:1 with 42* advance. Kept a light foot in hilly areas. This is on a ptc 9.5" NL and slightly aired down MT et streets.

Is that on a FAST system or chip? what rpm are you light cruising at?

This is starting with a full tank and ending with a full tank and dividing mileage by gallons used.

I question the accuracy of this method. One time I got a real slow pump and it added like 5 gallons to what I thought it should take. I first thought that pumps gauge was wrong, but based on how many mile I got it seemed accurate. Also some gas seems to bubble up more than others. This leads me to believe there could easily be a 1-2 gallon variance during normal fill-ups.

Stop complaining
This what I deal with and it isn't even fast

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120605_175851.png
    ForumRunner_20120605_175851.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 109
Rafs-T-Type said:
I question the accuracy of this method. One time I got a real slow pump and it added like 5 gallons to what I thought it should take. I first thought that pumps gauge was wrong, but based on how many mile I got it seemed accurate. Also some gas seems to bubble up more than others. This leads me to believe there could easily be a 1-2 gallon variance during normal fill-ups.
It was 100% topped off and the beginning and ending pump was the same.

I use the extender chip with lean cruise enabled and with a 208/208 FT cam and otherwise stock longblock, I get well over 20mpg's on the highway even at 70mph, between 15.5 and 17.0 AFR. Precision 5-disc LU/2700'ish stall. I drive 50 miles each way to work on a four lane straight highway, with hills though, and fill my car at 1/2 tank indicated so two round trips to work which is always 200 miles or a few more and I seldom put over 10 gallons in it to refuel. Even when riding it hard here and there, it seldom goes over 10 gallons. This data is over MANY refills, so while not exact, the law of average says I'm pretty easily getting at least 20mpg. This is up from 18.5 with TT chip/no lean cruise enabled. I'll check straight highway mileage one day, but I just can't travel far enough and not get on it or take off from a light/stop to see what it's capable of as far as max MPG's. I don't know my hp for sure but it's a heavy car with me in it, 3700lb min, and it goes 118 in the 1/4.