chrome bumpers

dennis1993

not sure if this is the right spot for this but here goes, I recently purchased an 87 silver turbo t with chrome bumpers and am considering painting them to match car. does anyone have any pics of matching color bumpers or have any advise about painting chrome or buying new bumpers to paint? car is sleeping in storage now and I'm just trying to get some ideas for spring...thanks in advance for any ideas.

Why dont you look into getting fiberglass bumpers and having them painted to match your car. This way its like 2 in 1. You save weight and you get your color matched bumpers. You can always save the chrome in case you sell in the long run or post them in the for sale section.

Fiberglass is ok and will shave roughly 70-75 lbs off, but you need to be aware though that if you hit someone or get hit, without that extra metal to absorb some of the energy even a minor fender bender can do some serious damage. If you want to keep the steel you can do one of two things: find a set of straight GN bumpers and repaint, or sandblast the chrome ones and use a self-etching primer before you color coat.

I painted a spare set of Chrome bumpers for my 87 T. I did all the prep myself and a buddy painted them. Held up great and i think they look good. No pics.

Mitch

I used GN bumpers-

For my white T, I obtained a clean set of GN bumpers and had them stripped and painted the color of the car. I did'nt think that stripping the chrome off was going to be easy so I did'nt even try. I have a 35mm photo of a local car that is silver with silver bumpers and blackout trim. It is absolutely badd ass looking. If I ever get tired of the white I would go silver with blackout. Junk the chrome it just looks mean.

I've powder coated several chrome bumpers,but only
after all the chrome was blasted off. It's the only way to ensure
you will have proper adhesion.
You must remove the chrome if you want it to stick well.
If you just scuff it up
It will work for a short time but the chrome is just to hard to
make paint stick well.

thank you all for your ideas might be a good idea to keep the chrome and buy a second set of glass bumpers with aluminum supports as long as there is no major fab work to get them to line up right??:)