clean up headers?

89mulletbird

I got my headers off for some engine work, how to clean up the headers? Not sure if I should bead blast them or if that's going to give them an even worse finish.

Stock headers, or? Coated?
Stockers are not a good quality stainless. They won't stay "nice" for long.
A coated header can be buffed w/ very fine steel wool. If coated and overheated, the coating is "toast".
Bead blasting is ok, IF you clean them well. Oil, gooey carbon deposits will hold the media inside the tubes...You know what that means.....:eek:

They are stock TTA headers. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to make sure the insides are really clean so I don't mess up the turbo.

Is the stock crossover pipe stainless also? It seemed to have some surface rust on it so I wasn't sure if I should paint it after blasting.

Cross over is definitely a different material; I know that Bill Owen specced out the headers to be a slightly better quality material to prevent cracking so will see if I have the material specs written down somewhere otherwise I can ask him next time we speak.

Thought I found it but believe it's the down pipe ... SS 409 ...

the headers are also cheap mans stainless ... 409 hence the rust

304 is a lot pricier so in a OEM not a good choice.. also 304 moves a lot and if not welded / fabricated correctly are actually more prone to cracking.

I fabricated a set of 321 stainless headers for someone 6+ years ago .. they discolor into a GOLDish color initially.. and haven't changed since.

409 is still better than Mild but not by leaps and bounds