Cleaning up the engine bay

aero_SS_national

I recently purchased a Monte Carlo with a gn swap the guy who put it together left a mess of wires, relays, fuses for things like the fuel pump, alcohol injection etc. floating around, it looks horrible nothing is labeled, properly secured or uniform in any way so I was thinking of moving the battery to the trunk and using the space to make some type of electrical panel to clean this engine bay up, anybody have anything like this under they're hood or have a better idea?

Show us pics!
I have spent many lonely, cold nights in my garage trying to sort through wiring! :) :) :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would love to see what you have goin on im thinking of doing a gn powered monte project my self possibly

[quote="aero_SS_national, post: 3285834, member: 43919".......... it looks horrible nothing is labeled, properly secured or uniform in any way so I was thinking of moving the battery to the trunk and using the space to make some type of electrical panel to clean this engine bay up, anybody have anything like this under they're hood or have a better idea?[/quote]

Here are 2 examples that illustrate what can be done, even though they may be over the top for your car! :)

The smaller panel is mounted behind the glove box, and there is enough slack in the wire to move it to the pass floor for service if needed.

The large panel is used in a full race GN.

panel 1.jpg
panel 3.jpg

I recently purchased a Monte Carlo with a gn swap the guy who put it together left a mess of wires, relays, fuses for things like the fuel pump, alcohol injection etc. floating around, it looks horrible nothing is labeled, properly secured or uniform in any way so I was thinking of moving the battery to the trunk and using the space to make some type of electrical panel to clean this engine bay up, anybody have anything like this under they're hood or have a better idea?

The Monte is a G-body like the Regal - obviously.
So under the hood - it should look almost identical to any of the TRs that have the same LC2 and Alky.
Why not re-configure or reroute things to more closely resemble what TR owners do when installing an LC2 in a HA car.
i.e - Installing the correct relays in the correct location, fuses for accessories under the dash, etc - rather than relocating the battery to make room for something that will not be very weatherproof.
I would start with the basic relays first, and simply disconnect the Alky mess - then reinstall it properly once you get the basic and required electrical in order.

For an accessory fuse panel - some of our vendors offer - or- you can see under Junkyard Dogs a few options.
That by itself will help to clean things up considerably.
But you shouldn't need too many additional fuses if you're running an LC2 harness with only Alky.
I know the factory fuse blocks on the other NA G -bodies differ a (slight) bit from the Regal TR - so it may be that you need some of the extra fuse feeds on an accessory fuse box for fuel pump, fans, etc.

You don't mention if it has an LC2 underhood harness - so it's hard to say how much is going to be required.

Oh - a soldering station with a good quality soldering iron, good 60/40 solder; several packs of 16 & 14 AWG stranded wire; a heat gun, several lengths of shrink, a small tube of dielectric grease, and good knowledge of the lineman's splice or other suitable connection techniques will go a long way.
Try not to get tempted to lean on the crimp connectors. Unless it is to a component connection. Even then, I like to use the un-insulated variety - then solder them and shrink.

Thanks for the examples Nick they look really nice and neat but your right that's more necessary for a race application . Heisenberg Iam going to go your route and keep a nice stock appearance I've actually decided to order a custom harness ,I been trying to avoid it but after taking a closer look at my harness I found that the wires are all hard and brittle and there's even corrosion throughout most of the wires in the harness. Dune billy here are some pics of the situation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg