Clear coating aluminum

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Anyone have first hand experience with clear coating bare aluminum parts? Would like to coat some pulleys and not sure yet if I should have them powder coated, in fear of the shop screwing up some RJC artwork. Lol

Last edited:
Hey Eticket. That sounds cool. Was unaware that was an option. Know of a place in Houston?

If you clear over aluminum it can sometimes yellow and the performance of the clear will vary depending on the product used. I have seen this before. Would be better to anodize.
AG.

I used clear coating on my raw al valve covers and it doesn't look that great. If you have the money and time have them powder coated.

A few years ago I wanted to do that to an intake manifold and the professional plating/painting/powder coating company I took it too talked me out of it. He said his experience was the clear discolors over time to an aged yellow look. I assumed that would only apply to intakes but he said any under hood part gets enough heat to cause problems. Maybe clear coats are better now but I would certainly do my research.

With powder some clears are better then others....Most clears designed for the US market have a yellow tint to them. European clears have a blue tint that actually looks much better...i believe BMW uses a blue tint in there clear.
And if your coater happens to over cure your parts they will yellow.

kbs makes a product called diamond clear. meant to handle heat up to 250 degrees i believe and isn't supposed to yellow with heat like most. maybe something to check into.

Thanks guys.
Found the diamond clear on google and not sure anymore.
As with most things on a TB . . . It's not as simple as is appears. Lol
Going to visit a shop to discuss clear anodizing. Will post findings and results.

Last edited:
I'm don't like it as well. I polish my stuff. Pain in the ass to do and maintain, but you can't beat the results. For low maintenance anodizing would be better.

Subbed. I'd be curious what your guys say. I plan to PC everything I can on my PT build for easy maintenance. I have a set of aluminum American Force wheels on one of my built trucks and OMG the maintenance is more than some of my cars.

Be aware there are clear coat colors available that mimic aluminum. So you could, for instance, PC the parts in an aluminum color and kill two birds with one stone...an nice uniform aluminum appearance and easy maintenance. It's not the exact same color as polished aluminum (more like as cast...ideal on say stock valve covers). But if you PC all your raw aluminum parts the same way so it looks the same, you should be gtg.

One other thing you may want to talk to your contacts about is physical vapour deposition (PVD). It's a sort of powder coating that looks like chrome. I put a set of PVD wheels on the Ram I built my son for his sixteenth birthday last year...pic below. They look like slightly dark chrome and held up great through the winter where chrome would have failed. HTH.

i-Dn66gDS-XL.jpg

U are not supposed to clear bare aluminum. Needs sanded etched, primer or sealer then a base. Powder coating on the other hand u can use clear.

Subbed. I'd be curious what your guys say. I plan to PC everything I can on my PT build for easy maintenance. I have a set of aluminum American Force wheels on one of my built trucks and OMG the maintenance is more than some of my cars.

Be aware there are clear coat colors available that mimic aluminum. So you could, for instance, PC the parts in an aluminum color and kill two birds with one stone...an nice uniform aluminum appearance and easy maintenance. It's not the exact same color as polished aluminum (more like as cast...ideal on say stock valve covers). But if you PC all your raw aluminum parts the same way so it looks the same, you should be gtg.

One other thing you may want to talk to your contacts about is physical vapour deposition (PVD). It's a sort of powder coating that looks like chrome. I put a set of PVD wheels on the Ram I built my son for his sixteenth birthday last year...pic below. They look like slightly dark chrome and held up great through the winter where chrome would have failed. HTH.

i-Dn66gDS-XL.jpg

Little off the subject here, but JEEZ, what a beautiful truck! Would you adopt me, please? I'll be good.

Bruce '87 Grand National

My brother powder coats so I had him Clear the TA rear end diff cover we got in the group purchase. It was just raw aluminum and I knew it would never stay looking great without a clear coat on it. So I had him do a gloss clear powder on it. A clear coat out of a can will yellow within a short period of time. The Clear Gloss Powder almost adds a 3D dimension to it. Gloss clear will wipe right clean for years and years to come, especially on something that will never see harsh elements like winter salt, sand or liquid deicer they use here in IA. The glossier the powder the more durable it is according to him too. That goes for colors too.
Hope you can see the added depth of the clear coating.

Attachments

• 102_0540.JPG
    102_0540.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 161
  • 102_0541.JPG
    102_0541.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 159
Parts have been dropped off at the plating shop and clear anodizing should not be an issue. As with anything, preperation is tbe key.
The shop thoight the parts were great so they should turn out well.

Saw some samples, and the parts will not be shiney but end up with a light aluminum gray type finish. Hard to explain. Coating thickness should be about 0.0007 whereby 50% is coating and 50% metal penetration. Very durable, corrosion resistant.

Should be done next week.

Parts have been dropped off at the plating shop and clear anodizing should not be an issue. As with anything, preperation is tbe key.
The shop thoight the parts were great so they should turn out well.

Saw some samples, and the parts will not be shiney but end up with a light aluminum gray type finish. Hard to explain. Coating thickness should be about 0.0007 whereby 50% is coating and 50% metal penetration. Very durable, corrosion resistant.

Should be done next week.

Sounds like the "hard anodized" coating. This is different from color (or clear) anodizing, more resistant to corrosion and ding damage...