Clearance problems after vacumn brake conversion?

N

NorthVan87GN

Posting for my dad so bare with me and help me out if some of this doesn't make sense pls.

Ok, so we just installed a vacumn from a Monte Carlo and bolted a master cylinder for an '84 Caprice onto it. But now the master cylinder looks really high up and like it will hit the hood when it is closed. Is this normal?

Vacuum brake conversion

No.
Something wrong there.
I haven't installed mine yet but from my observations at the local wrecking yards on N/A Regals they should look "normal"
Take a second look at everthing.
HTH
Peter Cruickshank

I hear what you're saying. I had thought of using one of those cast iron MCs on my conversion but due to lack of time, I went with the plastic/alum one that came on the booster. The G-body one is low-profile and now I'm thinking it's for a good reason. All you can really do is check the clearance and if it don't work, take it back and swap it for an OEM looking one.

No, the Caprice master cylinder will work, but the reservoir is much taller. I used a Caprice master cylinder on my own car when I swapped the 12" front brakes on. The Caprice unit has a 1 1/8" bore. The stock G body is about 1".
You must reuse a stock g body reservoir from a vacuum brake master cylinder.....not from the Power Master. If not, you wont be able to close your hood. Been there. Done that!