Code 31

V6cious

I have been getting code 31 and only 10lbs of boost so I changed the boost solenoid and still no diff, also my torque converter does not lock up anymore what could be causing this do these two have any relations to each other

V6cious,

It's a small world. My car just started doing that yesterday. I replaced some kinked vacuum lines - hoping that was it but it wasn't. If you kind out anything thing please let me know and i'll do the same.

A lot of info in service manual is on www.gnttype.org. Try this: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#13

Defective O2 sensor. Can get a purple wire AC Delco for about $25. Even if it would be a defective ECM, you can buy one cheap on this board. I even have a friend that has some for sale.

If you have noticed a decrease in fuel mileage, run leaded race gas, or notice unchanging cross counts on a scanmaster, it is a good indication of a bad O2.

tim87tr,
Yeah I ran leaded gas last week and was hoping that this 2nd time wouldn't harm the O2 sensor.
Should the ' service engine soon' light be on from the start? Mine only comes on when i get a heavy foot. If i just cruise the light doesn't come on.
That link is for the O2 sensor- Code 13.
"Trouble Code 31 indicates that the Wastegate Solenoid may not be functioning correctly"... any suggestions?

Ooops :D . I got in a hurry on that one. Don't know if I had that code before but from reading the correct one ;) : http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#31

I would say sticking wg actuator, most likely the dp puck sticking. What kind of downpipe do you have? I see it is 3", not stock.

The TC solenoid could cause the converter problems. Also there is a brake switch behind the pedal that may cause it also. You could post that in transmission also.

there is a relation between the wastgate sol. and the conv lockup switch. the wast. sol. gets power off the same lead as the brake switch that controls lockup engage/disengagement. the brake switch is under the dash and goes against the brake pedal arm. just a thought....

$10 says that your ecm/sol fuse is blown under the dash.
It is at the top right of the fuse panel, 10 amp I believe.
Replace, enjoy normal boost and lockup converter..........

Man I have to tell you that in this world of turbo buicks it is
good to have fellow buick owners like you guys WSLN 6 was right on the money this time, I replaced the fuse and now I am back in business boost back up and torque converter is locking just fine, I beleive that the fuse must controll other things as well because my car runs a lot better to, this should be taken down as a note for all turbo buick owners cause it could be a test question for one of you one day CODE 31 CHECK ECM/SOL FUSE THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

i just got this error code today as i installed a new cold air kit...it only comes on when i boost to 10 lbs on my new te-44 turbo.....my tcc does not lock up anymore as well and i bet it's the brake switch and i will go outside right now and check that ecm/sol fuse...any other suggestions as to how this could be happening? i never got it before until i just installed this new cold air kit last night! weird!

Originally posted by WSLN 6
$10 says that your ecm/sol fuse is blown under the dash.
It is at the top right of the fuse panel, 10 amp I believe.
Replace, enjoy normal boost and lockup converter..........

uhhhhhhh you nailed it on the button buddy....that fuse was blown in my car! 10 amp top right...

now why would it blow like that??? what causes a short with that fuse? i hope i don't keep blowing that fuse...i will replace it and see...thanks a bunch

update: replaced that fuse and no more problems...car pulls like a mutha!:cool:

I had the same problem, and replaced the fuse. Drove it about 1 mile and I heard the fuse pop again. Sure enough while accelerating again the light came back on. Sure enough fuse popped again. I will be researching past threads for information on what will cause this to blow. Is there any other way of knowing if the ecm is bad other than with this fuse blowing? Thanks.

George

see if the wires are chafed leading to the ecm solenoid-

and check the 4 pin plug at the transmission--- follow that harness up to the back of the motor and see if its burned against the x-over

as i recall the tranny shares the same ground wire for the ecm solenoid, and plugs into the side of the tranny--

try that and see what you find-
HTH

bryan wanner

wanner@kc.rr.com