Coil on plug

HighPSI

Staff member
I am thinking about making a plug-and-play COP kit for the turbo Buick. Right now, I have only tested it with an XFI. It would not involve any cutting or splicing, but would require you to come up with a way to mount your coils. It would have a built in 2-step and use the factory crank and cam sensors (or whatever else you have). Cost should be around $500-$600 for everything but coils and plug wires. Just trying to determine if there is any interest.

Attachments

• P1020475.jpg
    P1020475.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,356
that is cool, We will help you with any knowledge we have learned on having a few cars running with the mega coil pack. Great idea!

So far it has been tested to over 200hp/cylinder without any problems. If someone is interested in testing another one for me, I will make them a real good deal. I need someone with an XFI and stock crank and cam sensors.

So far it has been tested to over 200hp/cylinder without any problems. If someone is interested in testing another one for me, I will make them a real good deal. I need someone with an XFI and stock crank and cam sensors.

Cal, shoot me a price on this. It would be going on a TA S2 street driven car.

I've got a classic sequential FAST we can try it out on.

I can make all the brackets for these.

I'm wanting to go XFI so I can get to my goal of 20+mpg.

Be glad to help/test whatever you want.
Thanks,
Scott!

Tom,
Give me a call at 321-863-2303 tomorrow and we can go over your combination. I should be able to get everything to you by the weekend. I would love for you to be using it at Norwalk.

Scott,
Are you wanting to use it with the Classic FAST or an XFI? I haven't tested it with a Classic box yet. So I can't guarantee anything. I will be near you right after Norwalk and could probably test then. I will be staying in Goshen for a couple of days and traveling to PTE one day.

Tom,
Give me a call at 321-863-2303 tomorrow and we can go over your combination. I should be able to get everything to you by the weekend. I would love for you to be using it at Norwalk.

Scott,
Are you wanting to use it with the Classic FAST or an XFI? I haven't tested it with a Classic box yet. So I can't guarantee anything. I will be near you right after Norwalk and could probably test then. I will be staying in Goshen for a couple of days and traveling to PTE one day.

I will

Scott,

Mine at the moment is a classic Sequential Fast. (Converted from batch) by Craig Smith.
Do you have all the stuff needed to test this or do I need to pick some stuff up?

I know you help Sam C quite a bit. I'm very close to him and very close to Goshen.
If you need any help wrenching at Norwalk I can drive my car over help for the weekend and drive back. That's a short drive compared to Drag Week Lol.

Be glad to help.. for the help.. or does that make sense? :)

The Classic FAST is in this car:
DSC09750.sized.jpg

Camaroatsummit4.jpg

Cal,
Great product idea. How much for the coils and plug wires? Would the plug wires would be custom or off-the-shelf?
Conrad

cop kit

i'm looking for something just like this. running stock ecm w/mafless pro any chance we could see something for this type of set up ? :rolleyes::D

That would be nice. I would like to see a complete new system including a better crank trigger that would eliminate waste spark and send all the power to the one plug. :cool:

Cal...that's pretty darn slick looking. Nice job, your a regular Nikola Tesla.

LOL, Mike ;)
There are only certain coils that will work with this setup. I would recommend using MSD's universal LS1 plug wire kit. I am putting together a couple more prototypes and hope to ship them tomorrow before I head to Norwalk. Once these last two get tested, I will focus on making them for other ecu's besides XFI.

Sent you a pm tomj

That would be nice. I would like to see a complete new system including a better crank trigger that would eliminate waste spark and send all the power to the one plug. :cool:

I believe Cal is making this work with a 3 pulse crank trigger and a stock crank sensor.

If you want the most power from an ignition spark I do believe CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) is still king. The benefit of COP (which LSx style is actually CNP) is it is an inductive system and will have a longer spark duration than CDI thus creating a more efficient combustion process. Since the coil in a CNP system will fire once every 720* it can allow longer dwell times necessary to reach peak coil saturation allowing more spark energy to be released. This has been the downfall of an inductive system vs a CDI which has a very high spark energy but also a VERY fast spark duration. This is also why coil selection is very important for this type of system (ie: dwell time to long over heats the coil doesn't reach saturation point etc).

I still would like someone to show me how wastespark is detrimental to engine performance or ignition output:confused: I know the timing issues associated with the stock ignition module and a two step but other than that I have never seen any other downsides to wastespark. I have a mountain of EGT data on my motor from individual cyl datalogs to a DTS engine dyno both with wastespark and without and never saw any difference in EGT temps from going from one to the other.

I give a big thumbs up to Cal for tackling this project it isn't an easy one and there is more to getting this to work than most would expect. I am watching with great anticipation and would like to get away from CDI as I believe there is more HP in an inductive system with a longer spark duration. When you add pressure to the combustion process though you need a lot of spark energy to jump that gap!