Combo for 11.90s on pump gas/alky?

Toady

As the rainy weather starts and I turn the boost down to keep from spinning at every stoplight, I'm dreaming of next spring.

Starting with an almost stock car, what is the minimum I'd have to add to get 11.90s with an SMC kit? Current combo: stock block, turbo, injectors, IC, tranny. Casper's v3.02 Ultrachip, Walbro 340, Accufab FPR, K&N w/ MAF pipe, 160 stat.

I'm just thinking out loud right now, so fire away. Thanks.

Get a set of slicks. Start tuning your existing combo and see where it gets you. I kinda went backwards and bought a bunch of the stuff first but the stuff needed replaced anyhow:D

You definitely can leave the block alone. Then to start improving on your times you will probably be looking at a turbo and injector upgrade and then an intercooler.

What about your DP and exhaust???

Take a look at my combo in my signature. If I locked the TCC, I would be in the 11s at about 114-115 mph.

Thanks, guys! DP is stock, soon to be replaced with an ATR 2.5" stock-type DP and TurboMike ported elbow. Looks like I'll need more injector and turbo if I want to do this. Ah, well, someday. Next spring, I will try to get solidly in the 12s.

11.90's? Tall order with all stock stuff.
Upgrade the injectors; You'll have more fuel to play with. Crank your stock turbo to 25lbs. If the SCM kit can't handle that use c-16. Open the exhaust dp at the cat. Use EGT's to tune. Lock the converter in 2nd or 3rd. Should be able to run ~109mph or so with that. Beyond that you'll need more airflow and possibly more fuel.

I would go with TE 44 turbo or slightly bigger, 50# MSD's injectors, ported heads, slicks, upgraded exhaust, and 100 octane chip.;)

Why not get a Terry Houston Downpipe instead of a 2.5" pipe and ported elbow? THDP's are proven to work. Go with a bigger injector (50's), cause when you go 11.90 your gonna want to go 10.90, trust me :D

Get ya a PT-51, V-4 stock replacement intercooler, MSD 50's (are good to 10.50's), and good 3" downpipe and exhaust. With a good pair of tires, you could expect anywhere from 11.50's to 12.10's. Dont forget good gas. Hope this helps.

I just installed my SMC kit and am still tuning. But my car is basically stock with the exception of a 210/205 cam. Stock turbo, IC, injectors, exhaust but with cat-pipe, etc. My previous best was 12.15@111.09 at 18psi of boost.

I took it out this past weekend to 75/80 in Maryland and on the last run of the day, I ran a 12.20@114. At the same track as my best run, MIR, I'd be in the 11s with that mph. Elevation is a little higher. I'm still working on turn on point. I kept upping it on every run and I kept creeping up on the mph. This was with 20psi of boost.

I know the stock exhaust is a real bottle neck. So far the injectors are doing OK. Still at 800+mv but they'll have to be replaced soon as well.

IMO, you should look into airbags, slicks, adjustable lower control arms, THDP, good scan tool (if you don't already have one),
EGT with max hold, line lock, driveshaft loop, helmet
This with your current combo should get you solidly in the mid 12s
or better with 22-24psi of boost.
Tuning and being able to put it to the ground is the key.

Just got back from the track and I ran an 11.968 @ 114.87 with 93 + SMC alcohol kit. Boost was 22.5-23.5 with '0' retard. Used Extender chip (21*) that locked TCC at 75 mph.

Hey Toady,
Do me a favor and dont get the 2.5" dp. Get an ATR 3" or TH 3" downpipe. They flow so much better and the price is not much more.

Thanks all!

I apologize that I haven't been able to post at length about this. Been working just about every day since 10/29 - and glad, considering this economy.

Some history on my goals: All I really want is mid-12s. I know that can be done on practically stock everything. My car was totally stock when I bought it as my driver, but it had high miles (150k). Like many of you, I'm sure, I've been trying to follow the path of upgrading rather than just replacing when something quits. It was with that in mind that I asked about hitting 11.90s.

I was kinda hoping someone would say they did it with just bluetops and a big neck IC...:)

Boostisgood and AintGoinSlo - message received about the THDP. I know it works, no question about that. But cost is a big thing right now, with a 3-month-old daughter. I mean, for the price of a THDP, I got the ported elbow and ATR DP (used) PLUS an SMC kit.

My original intent was to find out if I can play in this neighborhood on my parts and budget. The answer appears to be no, and that's fine.

"Speed costs money, and this is as fast as I can afford to be today" :D

Traction being the key issue, other than tuning, you can get low 12's out of stock components, that has been proven. With the alky you can duplicate it on the street, that is why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now. My current problem is tons of knock with very little boost, I have an 8 position chip and the least aggressive position still knocks at 14psi, unless I want to run some racegas on the street I need alky, nearly eveerything else on my car is stock (need to make a sig) except for wastegate, FP reg, K&N, Walbro 340 hotwired, and Nitto's. The intercooler, injectors, Downpipe and exhaust are all stock and currently I can run low 13's on the street on 91 octane. Quench my knock and turn up the boost (13.18 with 14.9deg retard) and I will be solidly in the low 12's.
P.S. that was with o2 volts around 820 down to 795 in 3rd.

copy my motor i got one pass in street trim 93 octane no alchy
18#boost with 20 degree j/l chip with crappy 60 ft its in the sig 12:0 and yea its fun in traffic