Comcast Suxs!

GrnNatlFan

Bought a plasma tv, my first digital tv, and hooked it up. The picture is kind of grainy and nothing like the display in the store. Called Comcast to report and they state I need a 8db signal booster for $80 installed. I already pay them $167.50 a month for cable internet, telephone, and tv. Told them I felt they are responsible for providing a signal strength strong enough to get a digital quality picture (I do pay extra for the digital cable). They said I would have to pay the $80 since I am running 4 tvs, internet, and phone through the cable lines.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem? I do have the plasma on a cable that is split and shared with the internet cable modem. Got to looking on the internet and came up with this:

CABLE TV SIGNAL BOOSTER / DIGITAL HDTV MODEM AMPLIFIER - (eBay item 250157786853 end time Sep-02-07 11:05:50 PDT)

Is this any good or should I just bite the big one and give Comcast $80? Any advise would be helpful.

Bought a plasma tv, my first digital tv, and hooked it up. The picture is kind of grainy and nothing like the display in the store.

<snip>

Odd, I heard exactly the same thing from a co-worker yesturday, he also has Comcast.

Much as I dislike Charter, at least the service and signal is reliable here!

Bought a plasma tv, my first digital tv, and hooked it up.

I already pay them $167.50 a month for cable internet, telephone, and tv.

They said I would have to pay the $80 since I am running 4 tvs, internet, and phone through the cable lines.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem?

I do have the plasma on a cable that is split and shared with the internet cable modem.
Is this any good or should I just bite the big one and give Comcast $80?

Congrats on the new tv!

I think you are already giving them too much.

$80, I'd tell them not any more and find another provider for some of the services.

No experience but it sounds like they are trying to gouge you.

Dishnetwork/direct tv is supose to have plenty good digital stuff. I'd check out their service if I was you.

wait a minute...

Make sure ur viewing an HD broadcast first. Plasmas will have a grainy look unless its a Hi-def signal, a signal booster wont fix that.

That cable booster on ebay should work fine. Just be careful it's down stream from the cable modem unless it won't bother it. Sometimes the cable modem can't take a full signal so they knock it down on a splitter somewhere. So look out for that. The problem with digital is it needs a good clean strong signal to lock the cable box. So you start at the connection coming in the house and the more splitters and connections you have knock the signal down more and more. Check all your connectors that are on the cable and make sure they are not showing wires and clean and tight. Sometimes it can be the actual cable box. I've taken a few back to Comcast because they were having digital break up. I had them come out and put new connectors on the line coming in and that cleaned up allot of weird stuff as well.

The dish is fine till bad weather. We have 6 dish TV recievers at work and when we have bad weather they always go out. I would say the dish TV's are out way more then the cable is in a 6 month peroid.

comcast suxs

just got married new wife was smiling all day after the wedding.just wish comcast was like my new wife cause she dont suxs .but my girlfriend is just like comcast bigtime.:p

I have Comcast. I called and said my picture wasn't to good - I was getting ghosting on a couple of channels. A guy came out the next day, gave me a new box, ran a new line from the street to the house and put in a signal booster. There was no charge for the service.

New JD power survey lists comcast as 5th in customer satisfaction with directv dish as the top 2 .... supposedly comcast is to dump some $$$$ on customer service now

That cable booster on ebay should work fine. Just be careful it's down stream from the cable modem unless it won't bother it. Sometimes the cable modem can't take a full signal so they knock it down on a splitter somewhere. So look out for that. The problem with digital is it needs a good clean strong signal to lock the cable box. So you start at the connection coming in the house and the more splitters and connections you have knock the signal down more and more. Check all your connectors that are on the cable and make sure they are not showing wires and clean and tight. Sometimes it can be the actual cable box. I've taken a few back to Comcast because they were having digital break up. I had them come out and put new connectors on the line coming in and that cleaned up allot of weird stuff as well.

The dish is fine till bad weather. We have 6 dish TV recievers at work and when we have bad weather they always go out. I would say the dish TV's are out way more then the cable is in a 6 month peroid.

Not much rain here in Phoenix so Directv is the way to go. When Mine was hooked up the installer told me that internal house wiring was their biggest HD problem so I let him run new cable directly to the TV through an outside wall.

Must be the area, I do not own an non-HDTV anymore and half of the TV's are plasma. The only issues I have had with Comcast were the DVR would "skip" and act like I had it set on slow motion all the time. They changed that out for free. Now my only issue with them is it seems Fox HD just stops working at least once a week.

I just got a new HDTV and we have comcast in my area and the picture is pretty good. of course the analougue challels dont look great, btu are watchable. digital channels are good and the HD is fantastic. yes I get some ghosting from time to time, I may tray and have the box switched out becasue weve had some other problems with it also.

Id try to get youre own booster, I dont see how it can be that different from the one comcast will give you. ots worth a try anyway, id just remember to remove it if you ever had to have them come and do something, as they may freak if they see it. im not sure how that goes.

Make sure ur viewing an HD broadcast first. Plasmas will have a grainy look unless its a Hi-def signal, a signal booster wont fix that.

X2 Most stores won't tell you that the picture you see on display is HD. Then, when you take it home, set it up and connect up your non-HD cable, it looks terrible. The bigger the screen the worse it looks. 480 lines looks OK on a 27" TV, but stretch it over 50-65" and the picture looks grainy.