Cometic head gaskets cheap

i just recieved an email that they were out of stock and my order is being delayed.

wierd since i ordered 2 sets soon after this post.

D

I got mine yesterday :)Well guys it was good while it lasted .

Hey gents I have a question. How much gasket thickness would you use for a motor that has .010" of piston pop-up? Is an .040 gasket gonna cut it too close for a 6000RPM motor?

Hey gents I have a question. How much gasket thickness would you use for a motor that has .010" of piston pop-up? Is an .040 gasket gonna cut it too close for a 6000RPM motor?

Mine are .010 out of the hole...I used .060 gaskets and have seen 6800 rpms. An .040 may work but I didn't want to chance it.

Bryan

Mine are .010 out of the hole...I used .060 gaskets and have seen 6800 rpms. An .040 may work but I didn't want to chance it.

Bryan
Same thing here. Always ran .060" gaskets on this particular motor in the past. Looks like I will continue to do so.

Squish: You guys are a lot smarter than I pretend to be so you already know this but will share the little I know.

The stock design doesn't have a lot of squish. Every bit helps, but the valve train stability and piston/wall clearance better be right for the rpm/squish.

The 109 in the 200 hp HA slug was zero decked by the shop :mad::mad: and with a hylomar sprayed 0.040 cometic, the compressed thickness is 0.037.

My experience: Have not seen issues with the 206/210 cam with stock rockers/shaft at accidental 6000 rpm. PAC beehives from FTS, 130 seat, stem height within +-0.005 of GM spec, adjustable push rods, morel, 0.020 preload. Its quiet. Got lucky on this motor. Back to the great deal. Lol

So when you use the copper spray on All 6 sides of the cometics how much will it add to the thickness if anything at all?

D

Why do people use copper spray when the gaskets already have a coating applied? I have always smeared a very small amount of the right stuff silicone around the embossed water transfer areas only, but feel it probably isn't necessary. What is important is having a smooth finish on the block and heads. Never had a leak.

Why do people use copper spray when the gaskets already have a coating applied? I have always smeared a very small amount of the right stuff silicone around the embossed water transfer areas only, but feel it probably isn't necessary. What is important is having a smooth finish on the block and heads. Never had a leak.

If your experience is the norm than why did a Weber built motor I disassembled have RTV smeared everywhere on the head gaskets. I couldn't believe what I found when taking that motor apart aside from the gasket mess. I wouldn't buy an engine from them especially at what they charge.

It does make one wonder why there is no ONE way to make these gaskets seal.

The MFG. states that they should go on dry and if you follow the proper RMA recommendations there should be no problems yet I read more posts than not of oil and water seepage issues.

The issues have been going on for years and seems that there will always be different results and solutions to the seepage problems that plague their use.

I will be using them on my next build and hope that I don't have the problems that others have had.

I have used them in the past on my Diesel engine without issues and didn't do any machine work at all and installed them dry.

My guess is that the uneven/lack of clamping force among other issues on the 3.8 may also have something to do with the varied results and methods used to make them work on 3.8's effectively 100% of the time has yet to still be found.

I quit using the copper spray. Been installing them dry. No regrets.

Flat, straight surfaces is what's most important.

Dry or not sprayed or not....ive seen 98% seep oil and about 60 % seep water. Of course seal tabs halt the water and the oil is just tolerated. It would help if cometic would put some better zealing around the oil drain back and water jacket transfer areas imo.

Last edited:
I just got an e-mail saying mine won't ship until January 18th. I did not order them until December 26th so I got in late. No big deal as I have not even got around to taking the heads off yet. Still a screaming deal.