Compressor Housings and Backplates?

4sfed4

Any of you guys know if the TO4E compressor backplate can be used with the 60-1 compressor wheel? I assume it can since the 60-1 wheel is only 3.000" in major diamater (same as the TO4E 50 trim). (And, I also believe the 60-1 HiFi from Turbonetics is just the 60-1 in the TO4E housing?)

I am thinking about putting a 60-1 wheel on my existing turbo, as I really dont want to start from scratch as I like the center section and exhaust sides that I already have (I just want a little more airflow capability on the compressor side). The TO4E 50 trim on there now is severely taxed at high boost pressure as boost pressure actually drops with rpm.

I have the 0.50 A/R compressor cover as well. I am not sure if it would be better to have that housing machined for the 60-1 wheel, or start with a bigger 0.60 or 0.70 A/R housing to begin with?

I really do not want to put a full TS04 cover on there (4" inlet and 2.5" outlet.) I test fit one before and, although it fits, its a PITA to fit an airfilter on there and I really dont want the extra hassle. Plus, the smaller A/R covers should (I believe) make the 60-1 wheel "happier" at higher boost pressures?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Here is the current compressor and backplate. I measured the wheel this AM and it is exactly 3.000" on the major diameter and 2.119" on the inducer.

Compressor0003.jpg

I believe a 60-1 wheel will fit right on this backplate?

The backplate assem. should work with the 60-1. Do you have a part # for the backplate I can cross reference it for you.

Jose

Originally posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
The backplate assem. should work with the 60-1. Do you have a part # for the backplate I can cross reference it for you.

Jose

I sure do!

The backing plate is Turbonetics part number 20561.

Thanks for the help!

Also....could my existing TO4E 0.50 A/R cover be machined to accept the 60-1 wheel?

No. TO4E's are 2.95 major dia. However, you can take your backplate and have it machined 0.050" bigger, easy to do on a lathe.

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
No. TO4E's are 2.95 major dia. However, you can take your backplate and have it machined 0.050" bigger, easy to do on a lathe.

I believe the 50 trim is the only T04E wheel that is 3.00" major diameter isnt it?

I measured the 50 trim and it does seem to be 3.000". The map also says 3.000".

But, I wonder if using a 2.950" or 3.000" wheel would make that much difference (i.e. only 0.05")?

30375-lr.jpg