Computer help

I think that those would be a IP message, You need 2 things IMO,
1. A Firewall program (AlarmZone can be downloaded for free)
2. A web browers that blocks popup ads or a program that stops pop up ads.

But without more info..hard to say.
Jim

Sorry fellas, Windows XP and cable modem. I downloaded end-popups and that is working fine but I still get these light gray boxes that are ads for peoples websights. They just pop up on the computer when I'm on or off it.

I have my internet cable connection through Cox and I get that if I connect a PC directly to the cable modem. If you are setup this way, you have a public IP address which leaves you open to those pop-up messages using "Net Send" and also attacks from hackers. If this is your only PC, open up the properties of your Local Area Connection and uncheck Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer sharing. Then, double click on the TCP/IP properties, go to Advanced, select the WINS tab, and check Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. None of these components are needed for the Internet. THey are only for authenticating, browsing, and sharing files over a local area network. If problems persist, there is a built-in firewall with XP that you can try. It can be activated in the Local Area Connection Properties.

You could also invest in a Router / Hub combo. This will use NAT (Network Address Translation) and will give your PC a private IP address. That's what I use. You can also put multiple PC's on the Internet through one connection.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Or you can just do a net stop messenger.. then to perm fix it go into control panel/computer mgt.. Edit the messenger service to be disabled.

I had the same problem...

I just clicked start, run, type "msconfig", enter, go to the 'Services' tab. There should be one called 'Messenger' from the Microsoft Corporation. Uncheck that and it should work.

Hope this helps

And just in case anybody thinks that effects the msn chat thing, it doesn't, all it does is stop the stupid ads from those types of popups, which is a "feature" so that people can send little messages to each other on a lan.