Control Arm and Ball joint

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
are the upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints difficult to replace? is this something i could easily do? do the bushings need to be pressed?

just curious about this process because i need to have mine replaced and the cheapest estimate i got was around $800. i would rather buy the parts, do it myself and spend the $600 (or so) i save on something else.

you will need a baljoint press for the lower joints the uppers will need a hammer and a chizel to get the rivets off. the bushings will need a hammer and a chizel or a air hammer to replace the bushings.

Originally posted by mybuick
you will need a baljoint press for the lower joints the uppers will need a hammer and a chizel to get the rivets off. the bushings will need a hammer and a chizel or a air hammer to replace the bushings.

Drill the rivets, and burn the bushings out with a propane torch.

Otherwise, no, it isn't hard, just time consuming.

Make sure you have GOOD spring compressor.

You can use a pitman arm puller to separate the spindles from the balljoints (I hate those pickel forks).

Do one side at a time so you can look at the other for reference if you get lost.
1) Basically, jack up the car (high!) and set it on jackstands.
2) Unbolt the brake caliper, hang it from the frame out of the way with a coat hanger or something, don't let it dangle by the brake line.
3) Undo the swaybar endlink from the lower control arm
4) Put your jack under the lower control arm and jack it up (not enough to lift the car off the jackstand on that side)
5) Undo the tie-rod end from the spindle. You can use the pitman arm puller to pop it after you remove the nut, or just whack it with a hammer.
6) take the shock out
7) Undo the upper ball joint, again, use the pitman arm puller.
8) Undo the lower ball joint, pull the spindle/rotor assembly out and set it down out of the way
9) Now for the moment of truth. Either be cautious and put a spring compressor in the spring, or just be wild and crazy and tie a rope to the spring and the frame. Lower the jack underneat the lower A arm. If you used a spring compressor, the spring will just kind of fall out. If you didn't, it'll shoot out quite scarily. Do not stand in front of it.
10) Undo the upper and lower a-arms at the frame.

That's it, you have it apart. Just replace the bushings and ball joints, and put it all back together. While you have it apart, do your tie rod ends and check your steering linkage too.