Converter???

GNtype1

First off let me say that I am a complete new to the fullest extent on American cars, so bare with me on this really newbie question.

What do you guys mean by 3000-3800 stall or etc? Whats that do/its purpose? Can someone explain to me in detail please.

Just to let everyone know I have mostly drivin/modified imports and am very clueless about American cars. Thanks in advance for lesson :biggrin:

lol 12 views and no response. C'mon guys I know its a retarded question but Im just tryin to educate myself

lol 12 views and no response. C'mon guys I know its a retarded question but Im just tryin to educate myself

It's not a retarded question. but your thread was posted for 2hrs. in the middle of the day when most of the tranny experts are working.

I was letting you know there is a ton of info out there to get you the basics
so when they start rattling off tech info it makes some sense. But in this world of immediate gratification and I want it now with out any effort or work, so you should fit right in......

torque converter is a modified form of fluid coupling that is used to transfer rotating power from a prime mover, such as an internal combustion engine or electric motor, to a rotating driven load. Like a basic fluid coupling, the torque converter normally takes the place of a mechanical clutch, allowing the load to be separated from the power source. As a more advanced form of fluid coupling, however, a torque converter is able to multiply torque when there is a substantial difference between input and output rotational speed, thus providing the equivalent of a reduction gear.

lmao, no I wanted to close it because I found a site along with the one you gave me that better explained it. I appriciate your help though in a way. The only thing im still kind of fuzzy on is the stall speed and its purpose/what it does.

What the stall speed does is determine the RPM the engine/trans couple to the point of stalling the engine. Think of it as the same thing as letting the clutch out of a manual shift car. If you are driving your car on the street, the time you hit the gas you want the car to move immediately, right around 1,000 rpm. If you are drag racing, you want to build boost at the tree around 3,200 plus, so you don't want the trans to couple just yet. Convertor builders change the rpm's the speed the engine/trans couple. To test stall speed, put in drive, apply brake, and give it gas till you can't hold it back. That is your approx. stall speed. Children, please don't try this unsupervised. :biggrin:

yea i read about that its called brake stall right. I also read something about true stall and flash stall. If you just keeping holding your brakes what happens? do your tires just start spining or are you just guna end up breaking something lol

yea i read about that its called brake stall right. I also read something about true stall and flash stall. If you just keeping holding your brakes what happens? do your tires just start spining or are you just guna end up breaking something lol
Yes, you would probably spin the tires if your back brakes can't hold them, or you would red light because you couldn't hold the car back, I've had em both happen. And I do want to point out, its convertor theory, it doesn't matter import or domestic.

Holding the brakes at full throttle will overheat the trans pretty quick if done for too long, that's if the tires don't spin and you have to back off the gas. Some guys find if they hold the RPM just below when the tires turn they run faster, some don't give any preload at all, it depends on the car.

I use a trans brake and launch the car by letting go of the button, and the suspension gets shocked like a standard trans car. I even use the N2O while holding the brake on at full throttle and get no trans slip, but holly- launch with the wheels 3 feet up and a 1.28 60' compared to a 1.5 without N2O and a 1.60 60' without the brake.

When using a trans brake you can hold the throttle down and the converter will get max stall without any tire or trans slip(if in good shape) but only for a couple of seconds or again the temp raises really fast!

Just more info to confuse or enlighten you.

Larry J

Flash stall is the stall speed under full power. It is the lowest rpm you will see after a ratio change. There are a lot of things that can effect the brake stall and flash stall. More torque into the converter at any point will increase the stall speeds. Its possible to use a converter on one engine that brake stalled to 3000 rpm @zero boost/vacuum and flashed to 5000@25psi and then put it behind another engine and it will brake to 2800 @zero boost/vacuum and flash to 5500+ under full power. The tough thing to do is have a loose converter down low and have that same converter couple up top. PTC does a great job of this with their 9.5" and their converters come within a few % of lockup at the end of the pass. 10 years ago this was unheard of on small cubic inch turbo engines. Their converters are custom built and spec'd for each application. Imports rely on the same tech to go fast with automatic transmissions.

Reason I asked is that I have never raced an automatic car. I've always driven stick since I got my license. I dont even know how to do a burn out in auto car lol. Stick is always e brake, rev up, dump clutch and gas/pedel (my cars have always been FF cars just in case)