converting to AWD

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
My friend has a 92 blazer 4X4 with a 4.3 and auto trans. He's been thinknig about a v8 swap for more power and has been thinking about AWD like the turbo ty/sy. Does anyone have an idea what would be involved for BOTH swaps? I told him if he wants fast go turbo but he won't listen:rolleyes:

well, the AWD part is easy- get a transfer case out of an AWD Astro and swap it in. you'll need to find a way to lock the front differential in all the time, but that should be fairly easy by hooking up the vacuum line that activates it to the intake manifold.
the V8 swap is a little more involved- but probably easier than putting a turbo on the V6.
the trans will bolt right up to a 350, but a custom oil pan is needed to clear the 4X4 stuff. special motor mounts are also needed, as well as exhaust stuff. you can buy kits that come with an oil pan, motor mounts, and headers from places like Summit and Jegs.
everything else off the 4.3 bolts to the V8- with a V8 ecm and throttle body, the fuel injection setup can even be retained- everything literally plugs right in.
i did this in a 1988 4wd S10 that i put a TBI 350 out of a 1992 Caprice cop car in it. i made my own motor mounts, oil pan, and exhaust crossover pipe.
it looked like it was factory installed- i was proud..
that little thing was a beast- but i couldn't get a title for it, so i took everything out and junked the truck. i'll do another one someday when i can find another solid $100 body.

Why couldn't you title it?? Did you build it as a street machine or an offroad truck? I have always though an AWD or 4x4 smaller street truck would be a beast with the right engine combo... There is nothing better than being able to launch on 100$ street tires in any conditions.

i couldn't title it becasue i bought it from a kid who bought it from a guy who got it from a guy..
and somewhere along the line, the title never got transfered and got lost.
the kid didn't know the name of the guy he got it from, and the DMV lady wouldn't help me track down the registered owner- stupid privacy laws..
i got the body for $100 with most of the stock 4.3 in pieces. i spent like 3 weeks making the 350 fit and work like it was born there, and used it to bomb around in my backyard thru the snowdrifts.
even with all that torque on tap and little 205/70/15 tires, in 4 lo that thing would just flat out hook and haul ass.
once i figured i couldn't title it, i pulled the 350 and all my custom home made parts out and sold the body for $150- only to find a rusted out 88 S10 a few weeks later that i could have gotten for nothing and did a little "custom" vin engineering..

well, the AWD part is easy- get a transfer case out of an AWD Astro and swap it in. you'll need to find a way to lock the front differential in all the time, but that should be fairly easy by hooking up the vacuum line that activates it to the intake manifold.
the V8 swap is a little more involved- but probably easier than putting a turbo on the V6.
the trans will bolt right up to a 350, but a custom oil pan is needed to clear the 4X4 stuff. special motor mounts are also needed, as well as exhaust stuff. you can buy kits that come with an oil pan, motor mounts, and headers from places like Summit and Jegs.
everything else off the 4.3 bolts to the V8- with a V8 ecm and throttle body, the fuel injection setup can even be retained- everything literally plugs right in.
i did this in a 1988 4wd S10 that i put a TBI 350 out of a 1992 Caprice cop car in it. i made my own motor mounts, oil pan, and exhaust crossover pipe.
it looked like it was factory installed- i was proud..
that little thing was a beast- but i couldn't get a title for it, so i took everything out and junked the truck. i'll do another one someday when i can find another solid $100 body.

One of the things I love about GM is the interchangability of parts from model to model... I wanted to get an Olds Bravada 4 door (already AWD) and put an age-appropriate 350 TPI into it with Vette rims from that era and scare the pants off the soccer moms... Vroom vroom...

Nope, only the city and state it was last registered, inspected or titled in...