Coolant smell at startup HG?

RKturbo6

Hmmmm 27lbs of boost on basically a stock motor. I did a comp check at 5 where within a LB of 140. # 2 however was about 117. The plugs all looked good, the oil looks fine, no smoke at all, And no bubbles that I can tell in the radiator. Seems to have developed a slight miss at idle but other than the coolant smell when I first start it up and the lower comp in the one cylinder. Any ideas? If it is a blown HG I am going to go ahead and get the heads P&P with bigger valves while I have them off.

With your info posted and the couple hundred or so turbo head gaskets I have changed, would say your heads need to come off.:(

Sounds like the coolant is seeping into no. 2 cylinder and that is what you smell upon start up.

Just a bit of advise, do not race your car with coolant [antifreeze].
For one, if a blown HG allows coolant into the oil, it will immediately destroy your bearings. Further, most tracks frown upon coolant spills on the track, and fines or an invitation to leave the track could be in order.

Ahhhh so I did use the search button. :) Actually after reading your post about the coolant/Blown HG in an earlier thread I decided to run straight water. I just recently put an F body radiator in it and used straight H2O. The only coolant now is basically leftover that was in the motor when I did the swap. At first I thought the coolant smell was maybe a leak or something, but no COOLING leaks. The trans shifter linkage and troublesome pan gasket is a whole nother matter.

Man I hate the idea of pulling the heads after I just got it running with the new setup. :(

Just my experience with alchy cars, blown head gaskets are very common with 27 psi boost. Tuning is VERY difficult [not my bag unless race gas!] with alchy and pump gas.

I have a local "alchy" motor here now with a hole in the side of the block, rod broken, valves bent, head damaged, no. 2 cyl lifter bosses blown out, cam in 2 pieces, both head gaskets have "U" shaped cylinder rings and the pan is trashed! He was "just cruising down the road when it backfired"?

My comment and opinion is, if you are going to a race track and "push" your car hard, use race gas. Cheaper in the long run.:)

Man, I felt bad enough already. But now ..................... :( Think instead of pulling the heads I am going to secretly hop on a bus, Go to Las Vegas and say some Ford guys kidnapped me. ;)

Hi,
Why do you use straight water in your cooling system? Talk about messing things up...The chemists came up with ethylene glycol, and with all the additives it comes with, for a reason; corrosion inhibition and lubrication. Don't mess with your motor and radiator that way! 'Nuff said....

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
Hi,
Why do you use straight water in your cooling system? Talk about messing things up...The chemists came up with ethylene glycol, and with all the additives it comes with, for a reason; corrosion inhibition and lubrication. Don't mess with your motor and radiator that way! 'Nuff said....

Ever have that great stuff get under your tires??????
especially with a power adder car that you are leaning all over.
when you push a head gasket and it comes out under your tires you may have a chance of recovery with water but coolant is like ice skating.
not to mention all the guys who want to tear you apart because they have to wait while the track is cleaned for 30 minutes

Also like Nick said as often as these cars blow HG's water in the oil is bad enough but coolant will break it down in no time. There are several additives out there like the one Nick sells that do the job of lubricant and rust inhibitor.