cooling fans ground

gn79

Does anyone know were the ground for the fan is, not the one on the fan or wire, but the wire were does it get the ground to. My fan is not working and the relays are all good. I have checked for power and it is there. There is no power at the there wires that cennet to the fan, when it needs to turn on. I know it is a ground problem and need to know were the grounds are the the fan. If anyone knows, can you please help me out.

I am kind of confused by your post. There are 2 relays on the drivers side fire wall that actuate the high speed and low speed of the fan. Check to make sure both of these are working. One side of the plug should be hot, one side should be hot key on, one side goes to ground and the other goes to the plug on the fan. It is kind of weird how they have this wired but anyway. First check the system by grounding out the fan temp sensor on the intake. See if the fan comes on. You will need to make sure the key is on. If this does not work then check the relays and connections. If you are not getting any voltage to the fan plug you may want to check that there is voltage to the relays on both the load bearing wire and the switched wire. Hope this helps. Let m eknow if you need more info.

The coolant fans share a ground with the AC high limit pressure switch. They are spliced together about 18 inches from the coolant fan connector and are grounded with a single 12 ga. wire using a ring connector either to the bolt on the end of the passenger side cylinder head (end closest to the firewall) or to a bolt on the bell housing. Sorry, but I forget which location but I believe it is the only ring terminal with a single wire at either of those two locations. These locations are hard to access and are often the cause of grounding problems. When I relocated them both to a bolt on the rear of the lower intake manifold, I found the bolt on the cylinder head finger loose! Some of the TR vendors such as Caspers sell a ground relocation kit expressly for this purposel

Good luck,
Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

Thanks alot guys for your help. I found out the problem, it was the ground that is on the pass. side head in back of the einge. The ground wire was hanging by a tread. I dont know how to say this, but when you cut a wire inside there is about 10 little single wires about, well two were just holding on to each other. Awhile back I was under the car and I found out that the driver side motor mount was missing the bolts so I replaced them. I think that is what cause the ground wire to slowly cut itself. Well I cut it in the middle and made new ends and put it back together. That fixed my problem. The fan turns on agin and it also made the car sound and run more smoother and once again thanks.