Coolingmist/Devil's Own h2o/meth

Your pump is also maxed out at 150psi and as I belive Alkycontrols is tested out at 250psi with no problems!
:rolleyes:

Here is our pump doing over 300 PSI. We change the dutycycle from the controller from 30 to 100% and back. As we change the dutycycle watch it increase. It goes to over 300 in this.

We do the same tests, that doesnt mean that your pump is going to run 250 or 300 PSI in production.

YouTube - M5 nozzle pump bypass

I have ZERO problem with your opinion on 100% meth. I have ZERO problem if you prefer kits from our competitor. I just have a problem with spewing mis-information about our product. Stick to facts and we will be fine.

See my next point

Thats called CYA, its a dislcamer. You catch your vehicle on fire, its not our fault. Do it at your own risk.

Our pump is MAXED out at 150 and Alkycontrols ist est at 250 with no problems, wow. Let me clue you in on something. Pressure is determined on the nozzle size or the resistance in the line. Shurflo does NOT make a 250 PSI pump. Further more, with a large nozzle that your vehicle must have you will not hit 250 PSI with your pump. Furthermore, 250 PSI is attainable with a smaller nozzle if you remove the bypass switch (on either pump), however doing so will limit the life of the pump. More pressure = more amp draw=lower life. Put a pressure gauge at your injector and video it at 250 for us.

Shurflo makes both our pumps, Ours is made directly from them, Alkycontrol changes the pump in house. there can be differences in cams, seals, however its not voo doo. You don't have to clue me in on anything! I'm quite aware of all that info. I just simply said your pump maxes out at 150 and I thought the Alkycontrol pump was tested at 250, Thats all! No need to get all worked up over something I thought!!

I said its the only one made by shurflo that they make with the intention saying of runing a mixture of alcohol and water. Our pump is made BY shurflo for us. Alkycontrols pump is not a model made direct for them. They take a pump, change out the sales and do what ever with the pump. My statement is accurate. However, Its probably time to remove that from the site anyway as there are other companies now that get the pump made by shurflo. No thats Not what it said! and I see it's now gone off your site!! :)

I dont have any problem with what you think. I stay neutral. Our customers can run 100%, they can run 50/50. Its up to them. I only take offense when someone comes along and trys to represent our product in a negative way or makes false statements. I'm not trying to represent your product at all, either good or bad! After your posts I just went on your site to do some reading and posted what I read! I don't see any statements that Iv'e posted that were false!

David
Have a nice Day!! ;)

I wouldn't bother with all the alky junk .. Just get a good NOS system for it :p

No thats Not what it said! and I see it's now gone off your site!! ;)

I did not change anything on my site,yet. Why must you make things up to try and make me look bad? be happy with what you have.

You don't have to clue me in on anything! I'm quite aware of all that info. I just simply said your pump maxes out at 150 and I thought the Alkycontrol pump was tested at 250, Thats all! No need to get all worked up over something I thought!!

I realize what you said, but its wrong. As shown in our video it has been tested at over 300 PSI. I get worked up because its false information that could cause someone to not purchase our kit, when they would otherwise. If a customer has all the facts and chooses something else, Im happy for them.

see post 41 for the vid.

David

Wrong, the color of the pump has nothing to do with its ability to handle mathanol. The type of seals does. We use a custom valve not EPDM.. and have not had a single failure since its introduction late 2005. Not one. And you cannot buy the pump I sell from Shurflo. Just like you cannot buy a Barry Grant carb from Holley. Becuase of the extensive modifications.

Now.. the leak comes from the diaphram. ALL Shurflo's are built with either Geolast or Santoprene. Thats it. If the diaphram is contaminated with gasoline, oil, something not 100% methanol.. then the diaphram reacts by shrinking. This shrinking is then where the leak comes from. So if your killing pumps.. 9 out of 10 times.. you are running contaminated alcohol/have run contaminated alcohol.

This is why the warranty question. Becuase I hate someone saying "Lifetime Warranty" then voiding it :redface: . I dont offer Lifetime, but do offer a one year unconditional. Just like Turbonetics does on its Ball Bearing turbo's.

Have a great day :)

Well, mine leaks. So you can change that sentence from none to two. I have only run 100% methanol straight from fresh cans through three pumps and all have leaked.
One was pre 05, two were post. The first two leaked from the pressure switch. The second I repaired on my own with epoxy. That one lasted a while. Then it started leaking from the pump head to main body mating surface. The third pump lasted about a year and I recently discovered it leaking from the pump head to main body mating surface.

Frankly, I'm tired of these leaks. I also wasn't too happy when the first kit you sent me back in early 05 or late 04 worked intermittently. I'm glad I didn't pop an HG.
As much as I want to feel like you are doing me a favor by sending me new kits or new pumps (you make it seem that way) I have to remember I paid you 500+ dollars with the expectation that I would not have to deal with this. I was hoping you wouldn't chime in on this thread because I wanted to avoid this topic. Hence why I did not mention you or your kit in any post until now. I'm just sick of seeing people represent a product like it is the epitome of perfection when it is not. Anyone that challenges it gets bullied too.

Anyway, back to the topic of coolingmist/Devils own alky kits

As an aside.. the other manufacturers are not without faults. Sentences like "Alcohol water injection also know as Methanol Injection.." (from the DO webpage, the coolingmist webpage has a similar sentence "Vari-Cool is the latest methanol injection, also known as h20 injection" they also misspelled the word octane, but I digress..) lead me to believe that the person selling that kit really does not know the science and history of alcohol injection except but as far as the electronics of making it happen.
Alcohol water injection is not known as methanol injection. Methanol is a type of alcohol and it has no water in it when it is pure. Water has been previously mixed with Methanol to boost engine performance and it was not called methanol injection. German WWII fighter planes (like the BF109) used 50/50 or 70/30 mixtures and called it MW50 or MW30.
This isn't really a huge deal because all a kit does is pump in a fluid referenced to some kind of signal. The tuning end is left up to the user. So in my case if I got a kit from someone that knew nothing about engines but the kit functioned perfectly and didn't leak, I would be happy. I do my own tuning so I wouldn't need them for advise.

anyway Have a good day.

Anyway, back to the topic of coolingmist/Devils own alky kits

As an aside.. the other manufacturers are not without faults. Sentences like "Alcohol water injection also know as Methanol Injection.." (from the DO webpage, the coolingmist webpage has a similar sentence "Vari-Cool is the latest methanol injection, also known as h20 injection" they also misspelled the word octane, but I digress..) lead me to believe that the person selling that kit really does not know the science and history of alcohol injection except but as far as the electronics of making it happen.
Alcohol water injection is not known as methanol injection. Methanol is a type of alcohol and it has no water in it when it is pure. Water has been previously mixed with Methanol to boost engine performance and it was not called methanol injection. German WWII fighter planes (like the BF109) used 50/50 or 70/30 mixtures and called it MW50 or MW30.
This isn't really a huge deal because all a kit does is pump in a fluid referenced to some kind of signal. The tuning end is left up to the user. So in my case if I got a kit from someone that knew nothing about engines but the kit functioned perfectly and didn't leak, I would be happy. I do my own tuning so I wouldn't need them for advise.

anyway Have a good day.

FYI,

That entire first page is designed to capture keywords for google. We packed as many keywords as we could on the front page. I realize we could/should have done a better job of making what we said more meaningful. Perhaps when I get a chance I will update that. Its sad but true, we need to market our product to sell it. Most people either want to injection water, methanol or alcohol. Our kits can inject all 3. We are trying to let the user know they can inject any of those with our kits. Thats all it was designed for.

I realize that description is vague, it wasnt intended to be the end all.

Pablo, i'm just giving you straight information as seen by us. I have sold 1000's of these pumps over the last 4 years.. Your on these boards.. while failures can happen, they are not common by any means.

Locally there is a shop in Tampa that distributed "Methanol". They would buy it in 55 gallon drums.. customers would bring their containers to their speed shop.. get them filled. All of a sudden we see 4 local guys have pump leaking... common to getting their alcohol from the same speed shop.. further inspection.. what happened was the shop only had "1" pump.. the would pull the pump out of the race gas tank and then put it into the methanol tank... what then happened is the methanol was tainted by race gasoline... next thing you know.. whalla.. bad pumps... Customers started getting their methanol in sealed containers.. problem solved. So whose fault was the pump failures??

See there are things beyond my control.. if you had seals shrink.. then the pumps leak.. then it is time to buy the methanol from a different source... get a new pump.. move on. If there was a way to make a pump resilient to all chemicals and mixes thereof.. it would be the e-ticket.. and such a device does not exist at any price point cheaper than your car.

If methanol cuased the santoprene in the pumps to shrink... I would have been out of business a long time ago. Its the handling that typically becomes the issue.

Sorry you had issues with your pump, but please read what i've written. This is straight forward information. There are cars here locally that have pumps from 2003 still in operation. Even yesterday I went and upgraded a pump sold Dec '03 working like a champ.. no leaks.. no issues.

So if you want to devise a way to tell the alcohol is not tainted.. that would be wonderful.

I will not get into what and how we do to our pumps. That is our proprietary information.. and our pump will do 250+ PSI on a M15 nozzle.. they all must do this or they dont ship. This is how we test them against leaks ;) Doesnt mean they have to be run at 250 PSI.. that is tuning and a whole other thread.

Good luck all with your decisions. I feel everyday we make the right ones on our product, it is the very best that can be done with no expenses spaired. In the end I know I cannot make everyone happy.. but realize if i've done everything possible in my power to eliminate a potential problem.. then its all I can do.

From the DO side, the warranty seems to be about the same as the Coolingmist. Pump is the same 150 psi, and they offer a 220 psi pump now. It’s bought direct from Shurflo, like Coolingmist’s, not modified like Alkycontrol’s. As far as price goes, looks like the DO wins with a $350 kit for GNs compare to $450 for CoolingMist’s and $530 for Alkycontrols. Take a look at the kits, and decide what you need and don’t need. You may or may not need a solenoid or check valve, and you may not need SS braided line. If the kit and the controller do what you need, then don’t spend more money then you have to. You will probably get more support on this site about Alkycontrol kits considering Julio is a sponsor, and seems to moderate this forum, be that beneficial for other kits makers or not. I have some links for most of the info, considering some numbers to back up coolingmist’s post about pressure depending on the nozzle, but can’t post links until I have more posts on the site.

(dees75z) I don't know if saving a buck is your primary goal here but the prices for all three kits are pretty close. Here is some FACTS from everyone of those companys web sites and you can choose whoever you like and what kit will work the best for your buick.

Devils own- $410 comes with a 3-bar map sensor, This kit assumes you are mounting it in your engine bay and are using your factory washer tank for a fluid source (which has the possability to be contaminated by rad fluid going to the pump). The kit does come with a 2 quart tank to be used as your washer tank.
Coolingmist- $450 + 39.95 for a 1gal tank = $490 confusing due to numerous kits available with little to no vehicle description and don't the Buicks need a 3-bar map sensor? If so how much is that ontop of that $450? and if there kit doesn't need the 3-bar it's not mentioned what is done on the buicks.
Alkycontrol- $530 Comes with Everything needed and Full step by step instructions on how to hook it up to your buick!There are no hidden costs in tanks or map sensors. It's a system that has been designed just for the buick.

Now let's move on to Coolingmist / Devils Own web site's.

Both of there websites are clearly aimed towards the 49/51 mix! PERIOD!
(yet they only mention that there pump is compatable with methanol)

Devils Own- Main page under-(Store Categories) It says " Water Injection Kits" & "Water Injection Parts" & "Pre-mixed methanol".

Main write up / description- "Alcohol Water Injection" - DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn strives to be the best provider for your Alcohol Water Injection System needs. We offer a complete selection of parts and accessories at the best prices for most supercharged and turbocharged vehicles. Among these are a number of custom built parts you can only find at DevilsOwn. Our newest addition is our custom-built check valve. This nickel plated brass check valve not only looks great but also insures anti-siphon protection. In addition, Shurflo has adapted their 150 PSI pump for us so it will work specifically for alcohol/water injection.

Alcohol/water injection is a method for cooling the combustion chambers of engines by adding methanol/water mix to the incoming air-fuel mixture. This allows for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking due to detonation. Many alcohol-water injection systems use a mixture of water and alcohol (usually 50/50).

Now for Cooling mist: Thanks for visiting us! Look around at our impressive list of methanol and water injection products to learn what Coolingmist is all about. We cater to the enthusiast who wants a better methanol/water injection system. We manufacture our own products. Custom methanol and water injection controllers, tanks and systems. You will not find these products anywhere else. See why Vari-Cool has taken the industry by storm. We know that you have an investment in your engine and Coolingmist is designed to give you more power, let you run more timing/boost, cool your EGTs, Intake and combustion temps. Be sure to see our videos to learn why we really are better. Others claim to better, we prove it, every day.

Vari-Cool is the latest methanol injection, also known as h20 injection, water injection and alcohol injection advancement. Using the benefits of waters high latent evaporation intake temps and more importantly charge temps and EGTs are dramatically reduced. This results in more power and a significant safety buffer. When using methanol the octain level is increased as methanol is researched to be as high as 118 octain. Coolingmist methanol water injection systems are designed for Turbocharged cars, diesels, supercharged cars/trucks and for normally aspirated vehicles

** BOTH Coolinmist/Devils Own Companys also Sell there own pre mixed 49% methanol / 51% water by the jug!

Devils Own - Sells you a 4gal container for $27.50 and it has less than 2gal of methanol in it. so your paying $27.50 for $7.00 worth of methanol..

Coolingmist - Sells you 4 one gallon jugs for $29.95 with the same 49/51 mixture paying $29.95 for $7.00 worth of methanol.
** Please note: The buyer has no idea or proof where this stuff is being mixed at or the enviroment it's being mixed in. The buyer also has no proof if your even getting the 49/51 mix. (To me this COULD be detrimental to your pump or your engine).

** I myself like to keep things simple! I prefer running "stright methanol" in my Buick. I know i'm getting the most octane, I'm getting the most out of the cooling effects, I'm lowering my injector dutycycle by 10-15%, And by running Straight Methanol it allows me the most room for growth with Boost / Timing.

**Point being- Both Coolingmist/Devils Own are clearly aimed towards 49/51 mix and NOT just Methanol!!

There should be knowone pissed or up-set due to mis-information or facts because all information was off all three of the company's very own web site's.

(dees75z) I wish you luck with any kit you do decide to go with The methanol kit is a great up grade and I hope your happy with it!

Take care!!
Scot W.

Vari-Cool has its own built in map sensor.

We sell 49/51 because its not legal to ship 100% methanol and more people run a 50/50 mix than 100%, its a fact. Once again, we are not GEARED toward 50/50 or 100% methanol. Its up to the customer.

We sell 49/51 because its not legal to ship 100% methanol and more people run a 50/50 mix than 100%, its a fact. Once again, we are not GEARED toward 50/50 or 100% methanol. Its up to the customer.
From this reply alone, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you! For a company who Very seldomly or does'nt at all mention the use of Straight Methanol on there buisness web site and mentions (H2o injection, Water injection, methanol/water injection) That coolingmist isn't aimed more towards the 49/51 mix?? Your SO geard towards it that your even profiting from the sales of the 49/51 mix. How can you honestly say that your not geared towards 50/50? :rolleyes:

More people run 50/50 mix than 100%? Thats more than likely sad but true, But ALOT of those people have brain washed thinking the 50/50 is better and it's not! It's a Fact!! :smile: Straight Methanol is readily available all over the place at ALOT less per gallon than your selling your mix for. More people should look into using Straight Methanol instead for the simple FACT alone there are ALOT more benifits..

Have a nice day! :smile:

I'm done here!! Enjoy!

I was done along time ago, lol

come on it's winter !!! your not letting go yet are ya :confused: although I really can't reply according to "some" because I am just a dumbass running in the 9's with pump gas and alky :eek: :p take everything here with a grain of salt :biggrin:

I understand! Think of it like this: Your starting out with a tank full of 93 octane pump gas and now your spraying in 100% methanol. The test above was done to show:

"Some fuels compared WITH gasoline / Not "Some fuels compared TO gasoline!! So if I was to guess, they are taking the octane rating of both. I'm not a scientist, I just know what works better!!

:confused:

With/To ... it doesn't matter..... Methanol is only 100 octane (thanks Norbs) by the scale everybody is used to looking at....... (R+M)/2.... that is the point I was making.... nothing more. I hope I didn't come across as an @ss.... cause that was never intended...

If you look at the data you will also notice pure ethanol has more energy than methanol, but its more and harder expensive to get, so everyone just uses methanol.

If you look at the data you will also notice pure ethanol has more energy than methanol, but its more and harder expensive to get, so everyone just uses methanol.

This is exactly why you should use E-85 as your primary fuel and inject methanol :D

Seroiusly its a no brainer for most.. ALKYCONTROL, SUPPORTING BOARD MEMBER, offers a kit with everything included.

I'm glad that Grumpy and others are good at doing DIY kits thats great, most TR people don't want to screw with all that and need something that has been proven time after time on our BUICK cars. Get a grip, get a few beers ( or whatever ), get an ALKYCONTROL kit and STFF...move on

The original thread poster is a person that needs said kit.:rolleyes: I aopolgize Dees75Z , its hard to get answers sometimes on this board...LOL even though I know that some gave it their best shot in this thread

Thanks

come on it's winter !!! your not letting go yet are ya :confused: although I really can't reply according to "some" because I am just a dumbass running in the 9's with pump gas and alky :eek: :p take everything here with a grain of salt :biggrin:

Man.........lol..................I just meant I was done talking about this methanol issue, lol. I am going to get a kit and I think just keep it HA.