Cost of Rebuild

RKNTRBO

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some input on the cost of doing a Stock ground up rebuild, on my motor.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark

1987-WE4

That is a difficult question to answer without more information. Will you be able to reuse the pistons? Does the crank need to turned? Will the mains and rods need to be re-sized? Is the block square? You see it goes on and on. Is this a street car?
Jeff

Really does depend on how far you want to go, and how many reuseable parts you have. But you want a number? Fine. Between 5-10k.

Try this

Contact the machine shop U will be using and ask for a price list. Then figure out worst case scenario. Thats gonna be the big factor because here in Chicago we have two very good machine shops that are close to me but they have very different pricing. One place is about half the cost of the other. Unfortunately, when I built my motor I didnt know about the cheaper shop :frown: .

We are having ours done right now, Stroker kit, roller cam, ta perfromance Alum. heads (ported), Intake to oil pan, water pump to flexplate. Our bill is going to be 8400. no girdle but will have studs.

Hope that give you an idea.

Chuck

$4100 is what its costing me as we speak:
Comp roller cam, probe pistons, stock rods reconditioned, crank turned, decked and bored/honed with plate, oil pump and cover set up, balanced, ARP bolts through out, performance valve job w/new guides, MLS gaskets and balancer notched at 25ATDC.:D

all done by the best shop in my area of NC.

Mine's running over 9 grand. But that is with a stroker kit, new balancer, flexplate, roller cam, etc. It can get pricey. What's the old saying......"How fast can you afford to go?":cool:

i would say 5 grand is way over what it would cost to do a stock rebuild. Stock rebuild 2 grand if the crank rods and heads are good. now if u want billet caps,ported heads,stronger bolts, new pistons, better rods,girdle, roller cam then the price will be over 5k

All depends....

Are you going to be building it yourself?

Heres a good basic rebuild kit eBay Motors: 231 Turbo Buick forged engine kit TRW pistons (item 320065316641 end time Aug-23-07 10:40:05 PDT)

With this kit I would add:ARP studs/bolts,roller cam(no flat tappet), a rebuilt front cover,and about $1k in machine work.

Also,this company Weberracing.net - Weber Racing Equipment Inc. offers a ready to build block for $1050.

Im currently building a full race engine and im at about $14k so far and its stock stroke!!Stuff can add up quick!

Well it is costing me around $7,000 and change for the build but having a Buick Guy who knows these motors is Priceless:biggrin:

yes having someone that knows what there doing with buick motors is great but it still depends on what is all done. 7k im guess you got new pistons, roller cam,billet caps if not a girdle,heads

Yes, forged pistons, billet caps, roller cam, etc. The cost of the build dosent faze me, but the cost of everthing else does-new turbo, trans, front mount, champ heads, etc., etc. will put my bill to around $15,000. :eek:

I remember my first car when I was 16 a 1968 AMX and it cost me about $7,000 total to redo the car.

Yes, forged pistons, billet caps, roller cam, etc. The cost of the build dosent faze me, but the cost of everthing else does-new turbo, trans, front mount, champ heads, etc., etc. will put my bill to around $15,000. :eek:

I remember my first car when I was 16 a 1968 AMX and it cost me about $7,000 total to redo the car.

$7,000, I won't say how old I am but it cost me $8000 to have Mickey Thompson build me a super stocker and that was everything, Engine, Tranny, Everything all the way to the wheels, Tires, Shocks, Ready to run, I took him a new car and he gave me back a NHRA SS/EA, Oh and I turned down a 1970 Hemi Cuda for $2450, Told him it was $50 to much, I am thinking of having my GN engine built this winter

I thought around 5k when i started but now im up to about 13k so you cant really say until you get your machine work done and parts bought

that faseter you want to go the more money its going to cost you. Also the safer you want to be the more its going to cost you. Doing the motor twice because you didnt take it to someone who knows how to build buick motors is going to cost you double.

Yep. Either 2200 now, and then, 6500 later (cuz when a cap let go, your rod broke in half, cuz it wanted to carve its name in the cylinder wall. but when you told it no, it got furious, and started banging its head against the bottom of the heads.) So now your crank, block, piston, rod, and that part of the head is worthless.
Trust me, you WILL want to go faster one day. You WILL put a bigger turbo on your car one day or another. And when that day comes, and something goes tits up, you better have what it takes. Cuz when one of these high horsepower V6's let go, they really let go.
Just go ahead and do the billet caps, roller cam/lifters, double roller timing chain, forged pistons/rods, ARP studs throughout, and balanced and blueprinted. I was lookin at a stock rebuild with roller cam from Jack Cotton, and I forget what his ballpark was, but it was something like 4 grand I think. (my memory is horrible) But it was a lot more than what I had thought. But I'm just stick and tired of playin games. I want a bulletproof bottom end, So I will have to just suck it up for now. I HATE to fork out 8 grand, but like they say, "pay now, or pay more later..." And I'm not pullin my engine out 5 or 6 times cuz of some stupid s**t. Screw that. My car's too nice. I'm pullin it one time, and one time only. Period. After jack puts it in, it's stayin in. Think about that the next time you're eye fu**in that next dual ballbearing 88mm turbo that sucks in small animals on spoolup. Dont be the man thinking "god i wish I had saved up just one more summer, and sprung for those billet main caps and forged pistons/rods..."