Cracked block. Can I save it?

Yes it can be welded by person that knows what he's doing but is it even worth it? There are plenty of 109 blocks around yet.

My first instinct was to get a junkyard 109 and freshen it up & swap everything over. New rings, bearings, & seals of course.

Off to the junkyard I go....

Just to clarify facts about the 109 block; After doing some searching I get that the NA 109 blocks are the same as the 86-87 Turbo 109 with the exception of the turbo oil drain hole.

If indeed that is true, what type/size is the thread?

Thanks

I don't recommend this but back in 1993 we left water in my brother's GN and the block cracked above the starter eight inches long. We took the starter down cleaned it well and heated the area and used JB weld. To this day the car is running and no leaks!!!!!

Prasad

I had two inch long plus cracks on either side of the drain plug on a SBC engine. I put the block on a milling
machine and cut a 1/4" wide flat over the cracks. I drilled and tapped 10/32 holes at the end of the cracks.
I made some flat plates and made rubber gaskets and installed with 10/32 screws with Permatex gasket sealer on the screws,
screwing the little plates down over the cracks, it never leaked and never got bigger.
The screws holes kept the crack from spreading, I believe.

Off to the junkyard I go....

Just to clarify facts about the 109 block; After doing some searching I get that the NA 109 blocks are the same as the 86-87 Turbo 109 with the exception of the turbo oil drain hole.

If indeed that is true, what type/size is the thread?

Thanks
my engine builder found a crack on the #2 register, going outwards from the cap bolt hole. said it would be ok for a lower h.p. build, but not for my goals. i got another block. when i asked him about the n/a blocks, he said they were not the same. he told me that the turbo 109's are beefier in the webs. can anyone clarify this?

If the car is numbers matching, and you want to keep it that way, you can have it welded by someone that knows how to weld cast iron. Be very careful who you let weld it.

Your machinist doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, take your n/a (which is the SAME ) block to another machinist.

I really have no idea why I clicked on this thread being afraid of what I would see posted:rolleyes: Never mind.. I'd take to long to type a sarcastic post. Get a new block for christ sake :mad:

images

GOODSON products sells threaded cast pins for fixing stuff like this. My 8445 heads have been fixed a few different places and never had a problem.
IMG_20111026_195916.jpg

The answer is 'yes' it can be fixed, and it could last a long time. The issue is more one of if its worth it. If the engine is out and apart, then its probably easiest to replace the block, hopefully you haven't paid for lots of work to the old one at this point.

Bob

If the block cracked there, how many spots did it try to crack before it found a weak spot. If you fix it and re-use it you may just open the next point the block was stressed when you start pushing it. $300 is about the norm for a reclacement block around here.

I really have no idea why I clicked on this thread being afraid of what I would see posted:rolleyes: Never mind.. I'd take to long to type a sarcastic post. Get a new block for christ sake :mad:
Not everyone has the knowledge. I could not find anything "searching" maybe the next guy will come along and see this. I believe I made my mind up @ post #8 however, your attempt at sarcasm is of extraordinary magnitude. I'm sure you agree too ;)

I really like jasjamz post #19; TurboBob post #18

Thanks to all that have replied!