cruise control part gm service manual question

midnight rider

0riginal owner 1987 GN
I have an 87 gn. cruise stopped working but idiot light on dash lights up. I bought a used one from this list and same problem. although its possible both units dont work I heard there is a module under the dash that might be the problem. I got it on the list and my mechanic looked under the dash and cant seem to find it. was wondering if he didnt look good enough or if its for another year GN. part number 25074740 37CF

Midnight rider--I just fixed my cruise issue using the kent-Moore cruise checking tool. The cruise module is just in front of the accelerator pedal up in the dash. You will need to unplug it to use the tool. The tool takes the place of the cruise module and mine had no lights on. This indicated no power. I checked the cruise servo and no power there either. The brake switch is a common issue with no cruise also. It comes into play if someone has swapped the powermaster and disturbed the switch. The plunger should be depressed fully with the pedal in the rest position, plunger on when pedal is pressed. I found the harness at the turn signal stalk to be my culprit. I moved the harness and my tester came to life and I could test the servo and the brake switch, resume/accel operation was there and you can hear the servo solenoids click. The harness at turn signal stalk chafes on column. Try it--let me know if you need help. Dp

Midnight rider--I just fixed my cruise issue using the kent-Moore cruise checking tool. The cruise module is just in front of the accelerator pedal up in the dash. You will need to unplug it to use the tool. The tool takes the place of the cruise module and mine had no lights on. This indicated no power. I checked the cruise servo and no power there either. The brake switch is a common issue with no cruise also. It comes into play if someone has swapped the powermaster and disturbed the switch. The plunger should be depressed fully with the pedal in the rest position, plunger on when pedal is pressed. I found the harness at the turn signal stalk to be my culprit. I moved the harness and my tester came to life and I could test the servo and the brake switch, resume/accel operation was there and you can hear the servo solenoids click. The harness at turn signal stalk chafes on column. Try it--let me know if you need help. Dp
ive swaped out the original powermaster for that of a regular regal several years ago. I cant recall if my cruise worked after that. I dont have the kent cruise checking tool, but ill certainly try to locate the cruise module and try a direct swap. that just might fix the proglem. thank you