Cruise timing for E85?

EyesofThunder

What sort of cruise timing do you run with E85?

I am messing with it right now in my 454 Suburban (gave up for the moment on the 3800 SC) and it was getting in the 9-11 city range with around 30 @ cruise. I just upped it to around 41 @ cruise, it sure seems like it is perkier.

Thanks!

I run my 69 E85 GTO to 48 degrees cruising ( all in at 2500 ). Helps with response, cooling and MPG.

I was informed by Eric at Turbo Tweak that he changes the emissions timing in our cars to a more aggressive map ( 22ish idle to 44ish cruise ), it doesn't matter if it's E85 or gas on this but other aspects will like EGR will help.

I'm dealing with the lower timing in my Talon and am going to contact my chip guy to change it, it makes a difference.

I ran around 44-46 (upper timing limit is 46) on my LT1 and only lost 20-25% mpg on it with E85. But on gas it ran mid to high 30's already. With iron heads and 10:1 compression.... Love my LT1....

Well see if I can get the truck running better. We are taking a trip to Texas next week and hope to run E85 round trip. But I might be hard pressed to get E85 in Texas, but can get to at least most of the trip on it.

Thanks!

Just understand that running really high cruise timing, which you can with E-85 will make your oil temp go up. Bruce had a big write up on it years ago which explained the fine line between optimum cruise timing and oil temp. If I can find it I'll post the link. His tests wwere not with E-85 but the theory is the same.

Depends on what part of Texas your going to. Plenty of E-85 to be found on the interstates ie... IH-35 , I-10 , etc

Coming over I40 and cutting down through to Houston. Not 100% of the route, but I am going from Rockford, IL to Memphis over I40 then I think down US highways to Houston. Hope I can find something, maybe go E85 down and gas back to see a comparison on mpg vs cost to drive it.

Thanks for the info on the oil temps, would like to read that for sure.

Just understand that running really high cruise timing, which you can with E-85 will make your oil temp go up. Bruce had a big write up on it years ago which explained the fine line between optimum cruise timing and oil temp. If I can find it I'll post the link. His tests wwere not with E-85 but the theory is the same.

Depends on what part of Texas your going to. Plenty of E-85 to be found on the interstates ie... IH-35 , I-10 , etc